F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

i can't shift into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i can't shift into neutral

i drove my cbr 600 f2 for about 100yrds and now i can't get it to shift into neutral. WHY?!?!?!?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Are other gears available? Does the clutch feel stiff? Can you get into neutral with the engine off?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:12 PM

if you are having problems going up into neutral, try pulling in the clutch from second and just barely tapping the shifter. should go in. also, hate to be captain obvious, but did you make sure that you have no N, and its not just the light bulb burt out?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 AM

If you can shift between 1 and 2, then you can get to neutral. It can be a bit tricky if you're new to bikes.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM

yes it has neutral because it's been in neutral sense i got it and i've taken the clutch basket out to see that star shaped shift gear wich has that little groove for neutral. now that i've ridden it i just can't get it to go back. it sounds like when i shift it in neutral it will click into 2nd as soon as i move the bike.
... i'm new to streetbike but i've had quads, ATCs, and dirt bikes my whole life. so i'm not totaly clueless. i've rebuilt a few engines.

Last edited by McSpreadum; 09-13-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:33 PM

some hondas can be nuetral tricky..as it takes half a kick for it not a full kick..itll prolly take a little gettin used to .. first try practice from 1st to nuetral.. if you dont get it after a little practice then look for a mechanical issue..(noteverly big boots will compound this problem)peece

Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Try pushing down very slightly from second. Some people have an easier time getting to neutral when coming down from second rather than up from first.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Your info is: the bike was stuck? in neutral, you took off the clutch basket to work on the shifter cam (star shape). Now, it wont go into neutral.

What did you see, and, or do to the parts in the area? The shift stopper arm should have been in place and has a return spring to hold the shifter cam in gear. If the stopper arm is not working properly then the cam would rotate right thru the neutral detente into 2nd gear.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gpfan1
Your info is: the bike was stuck? in neutral, you took off the clutch basket to work on the shifter cam (star shape). Now, it wont go into neutral.

What did you see, and, or do to the parts in the area? The shift stopper arm should have been in place and has a return spring to hold the shifter cam in gear. If the stopper arm is not working properly then the cam would rotate right thru the neutral detente into 2nd gear.
Good advise...

Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM

it wasn't stuck in neutral i just had it in neutral to move it around the shop on and off. i could shift through all gears just fine. it wasn't until i took it for a test ride where i found i couldn't shift back into neutral. that is when i took the engine apart to see if the "shifter cam" was being block or something was preventing it from working properly.

Quick Reply: i can't shift into neutral