F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

How to straigten a bent brake pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to straigten a bent brake pedal?

I wrecked my F2 on the freeway about 5 months ago in a spectacular crash (which is definitely worth writing about with photos). Luckily, I went off the freeway and crashed on grass. Flipped forward and sideways, nearly broke my neck, a few lacerations and severely sprained knees and ankles. Anyways, the instrument cluster, stay bar were completey obliterated, along with a few other minor plastic damage. I now have the bike put back together as before, minus the front uper fairings which house the front turn signals. The one thing left to make the bike rideable is being able to bend the rear break lever back down, which was bent in the crash. I was told that the rear brake foot lever was steel, not aluminum or alloy, which would make bending it back down less of a problem, since it handles heat better and there's less compromise in strength. Is it in fact steel and not aluminum/alloy? What is the best technique to bend it back after heating it up with a torch? Thanks for any advices!

Old 08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by outsider
I wrecked my F2 on the freeway about 5 months ago in a spectacular crash (which is definitely worth writing about with photos). Luckily, I went off the freeway and crashed on grass. Flipped forward and sideways, nearly broke my neck, a few lacerations and severely sprained knees and ankles. Anyways, the instrument cluster, stay bar were completey obliterated, along with a few other minor plastic damage. I now have the bike put back together as before, minus the front uper fairings which house the front turn signals. The one thing left to make the bike rideable is being able to bend the rear break lever back down, which was bent in the crash. I was told that the rear brake foot lever was steel, not aluminum or alloy, which would make bending it back down less of a problem, since it handles heat better and there's less compromise in strength. Is it in fact steel and not aluminum/alloy? What is the best technique to bend it back after heating it up with a torch? Thanks for any advices!
Rear brake levers are steel. If it's not bent too bad, then just bend it back. You won't even need heat. If it's taco'ed, then use some heat to make it easier to bend. I'd take it off the bike and put it in a bench vice, then you can work it back into the correct shape. A couple of crescent wrenches can do wonders. Also, rear brake levers are cheap and easy enough to find on ebay. Maybe consider just buying a straight one.

Personally, I'd just take it off all together. I never use it. It does more harm than good. It really should be called 'the eject pedal' anyway.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil314
Rear brake levers are steel. If it's not bent too bad, then just bend it back. You won't even need heat. If it's taco'ed, then use some heat to make it easier to bend. I'd take it off the bike and put it in a bench vice, then you can work it back into the correct shape. A couple of crescent wrenches can do wonders. Also, rear brake levers are cheap and easy enough to find on ebay. Maybe consider just buying a straight one.

Personally, I'd just take it off all together. I never use it. It does more harm than good. It really should be called 'the eject pedal' anyway.
Thanks for the advice! It's not bent too bad, but it is bent upwards enough that it would interfere with my foot while resting on the foot rest. It's a nice, gradual bend. I bought a disposable torch from Ace Hardware, so I spose I should heat it up a little bit before I bend it back. Oh, and wipe off all the WD-40 I sprayed on the chain from it sitting outside for 3 months. I've heard that a lot of people just walk away and leave the bike after having a crash. Not me. I plan on riding it 'till the wheels fall off. Mine is one of few clean F2's still in existence.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by outsider
Thanks for the advice! It's not bent too bad, but it is bent upwards enough that it would interfere with my foot while resting on the foot rest. It's a nice, gradual bend. I bought a disposable torch from Ace Hardware, so I spose I should heat it up a little bit before I bend it back. Oh, and wipe off all the WD-40 I sprayed on the chain from it sitting outside for 3 months. I've heard that a lot of people just walk away and leave the bike after having a crash. Not me. I plan on riding it 'till the wheels fall off. Mine is one of few clean F2's still in existence.
Bike's only get old cause people don't take care of them. A little bit of care and they will last forever.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was bent in a small crash a few years ago and it was bent downwards a little bit only so I never bothered to bend it back. But if it were too bad I'd take phil's advice and just heat er up and bend it back in the vice. And, if it's just a bit, then just bend it back or get a new one.