F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

How to: f4i tail conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: f4i tail conversion

Message from Sand.Man:

This thread has a lot of holes in it and is poorly paragraphed, I considered deleting it but I suppose there may be some useful information so I have removed it as a sticky and I will leave it in the tech subsection.

If anybody would like create a new guide on doing this job, I will gladly replace this thread with your own.

Alright, everyone has been asking me how I did my tail conversion so I decided to start a thread up. First off let me tell you a few things you'll need to get started. A welder, some steel, a grinder, a good imagination, and an f4i tailsection, taillight,and both seats. Also an undertail if you really wanna make it hot. In materials alone I invested about $400 and that's finding deals on ebay.
Now getting started, I ripped the tail apart until I had the subframe. Then I ripped all the electrical **** out of the way. Then I cut all the brackets off the subframe until it was bare. This is neccessary becuz a lot more will be exposed with your upgraded tail.

It all starts with the seat. You get the front seat right and the tail can be built around it. I modified the f4i seat to wedge between the tank and the subframe up front. When I got that to fit nice and tight I started getting the back of the seat mounted. I layed a piece of steel 1/4 by 1 in so it lined up with the holes on the back of the seat. I cut it to length and marked where the holes were. Then I drilled the holes and tapped them so I could put a bolt through it from the bottom so the threads were sticking up. Then I cut the head off the bottom of the nut and welded it so it would not come off. Then I put nuts on the top and tifgtened down the seat just like the f4i does. Then I welded that piece to the subframe. I also used oieces of angle iron to keep the seat from sliding side to side up towards the front.
I also had a f4i on location so I could take measurements and see how they did it. That helped a lot. So I had the seat on and it was in place and looked sweet. Then it was time for the tailsection. I did the rear seat last. For the mach up I used the lines on the angle of my subframe The next bracket I made was the top bolts to mount the tail. It also doubles as the first bracket of the rear seat. I used 3/4 round tube and got my length of the screw holes on the tail. I took my flat steel I used to mount the front seat and made round ends for the ends so they wouldn't be hollow. Keep in mind to take those deductions off your total on the round tube. I then marked my holes and drilled and tapped so I could screw it to my tailsection.
Next I took the flat steel and drilled and bolted it to my existing screw holes for the origonal seat. Your new back seat will sit about 4 inches higher and back a 1/2 in or so so don't tightened those bolts yet till you get the angle to match the round bar you just made for your tail earlier. This flatbar will be cut and nitched so your round bar sits right on that and is welded into place.
There is only two more brackets up front that hold the tailsection in place and they are tricky. I came down with the flatbar again and these threaded couplings that a bolt can screw into. Lining these up is tricky and can be a bitch.
I came back last to finish off the rear seat. I already started with a bracket for the tailsection as I said earlier. All I had to do to the front was cut angle iron and round one side of it off so the seat slid on and didn't shift from side to side. A similar bracket was made for the back mount for the rear seat and that bracket was bolted to existing holes on the back of the subframe then welded. I also a taillight bracket coming off the back that I cut off for my undertail. I left enough tab left to add a new piece if I wanted to go with a stock f4i one again.
It was a pain in the *** and took about a month of work every evening after I got off work. I have all kinds of pics but can't load them all up at one time cuz the site won't allow. My frame is for sale and has a clean VA title. Ant questions or just want more details, post up.

Last edited by Sand.Man; 03-14-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: How to: f4i tail conversion

get a photobucket, imageshack, or upload them to the gallery here. Then use the [img] tags to embed your pix.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:50 AM

Check out more pics in my gallery. If anyone knows how to put them on this thread I'd appreciate it.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM

I looked at the pics of your bike and I'm envious of the look. I just got my bike painted pearl white so tail mods are out (atleast for a while). Just wanted to say the mod is awesome. Maybe I can simulate that on my bikesome day. Thanks for sharing the secret. Again awesmoe bike. Short of maybe some HP upgrades, tightening up the rear look is the only change I would make to my own F2.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Yeah man, thanks. If I kept it I would've went with the 900rr swap. Now that's a hp upgrade! Also the headlight is crap. Someone on here did a headlight off something newer. He got a one peice race front end and cut out for his new headlights. It looked sick as hell.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Hey i found a f4 sub frame on ebay for super cheap and i think that will work..i know the f4is will..this one just has some sort of plate on the end by the tail light....anyone know what thats for?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Just make sure it is a 01-03. Those are the only years the made the 2 piece seat.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM

hey whatd you have to do for the undertail to work???? and do the integrated turn signals work?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 PM

ok so its a 99-00 subframe....but ive seen people swap the two seats and fairing onto this.......idk lemme know what you think ill send you a pic in your inbox cause i cant figure out how to ibed on here

Old 01-19-2008, 01:05 PM

damnit..if im not mistaken ill have to get a newer subframe than 99-00.....AHH!...crap....oh well..maybe i can make some money off of it on ebay or something

Quick Reply: How to: f4i tail conversion