F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

How do I increase power

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I increase power

I want to increase the power my old 600 has was looking at plugs, i know a jet kit would be good as well. Any other suggestions?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Also what plugs are good?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by pdcbrf2
I want to increase the power my old 600 has was looking at plugs, i know a jet kit would be good as well. Any other suggestions?
Jet kits don't increase power, they give you the ability to adjust your fuel mix, which is required when you make air flow changes. Not sure plugs make a difference. I have read a lot of speculation on both sides. The only fact that seems to be constant is that iridium plugs last far longer.

Do a search, there are a ton of threads on performance upgrades.

Forgive me if you don't want to hear this, but it is very useful info. Increasing power/performance on any motorcycle, especially a 20 year old one, is one hell of a money sink, and pretty pointless unless you race vintage or something. If you are crazy about going fast in a straight line, a liter bike will actually be cheaper than the costs of you gaining a measly 10-15 horse power on an old 600cc bike and even then still won't beat a liter bike. Now if you just want to be fast anywhere, that is a skill. I had friends on 750-1000 cc bikes that couldn't catch me in the bends. You won't even push stock suspension to the max of its abilities at average rider speeds so even that imo is a pointless street upgrade.

One thing you CAN spend your money on, that will annihilate any motorcycle upgrade is track time. It is expensive, but so are costly upgrades that will do nothing but potentially get you in trouble. The skills learned at the track are invaluable. They will make you a far better rider on and off the street.

End rant! lol

Last edited by Dissevered; 03-23-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM

^^ +100 ^^

Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sorta agree with the other guys, but you can get a lil more power from that old F2. A full exhaust, stage 3 jet kit (needs machine work ), and a ignition advance. Those mods will net you maybe 5-10hp at the crank and only 2-5 at the wheel. Other than those you're looking at tons of $$$ on aftermarket carbs, headwork, and possibly a big bore kit.

you're better off getting a newer 600 which the majority of us here cant even push to its limits or like already said a 1000RR which is overkill lol

Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all you guys are wrong.

everyone knows you get more power by putting your hand on the right grip, and twisting.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:40 AM

thanks i was just seeing if there was anything i might be missing. dissevered i agree when i talked to people about getting a 600 they said it will do things 750 and 1000 cant. im just a big guy looking for some umph, no biggie though she still has a lot

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

thanks i was just seeing if there was anything i might be missing. dissevered i agree when i talked to people about getting a 600 they said it will do things 750 and 1000 cant. im just a big guy looking for some umph, no biggie though she still has a lot
It really just depends on your wallet. If you are a rich guy and have a hard on for your old F2 and just plain and simple do not want a newer faster bike, then you have to do what playful god said. Power lies in engine work and corner speed lies in suspension and geometry tweaking.

If you are a big guy without a big wallet, my best advice to you is to learn what you can on your F2, and then get yourself a bigger bike. Its the cheapest and most reliable route for more speed.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM

sounds like a plan thanks

Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not looking for top end power just more acceleration drop a tooth in the front and add a couple in the back.

Quick Reply: How do I increase power