F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Hit a bump now 600 F2 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012 | 08:51 PM
|
Default Hit a bump now 600 F2 wont start

i was riding the bike(94 cbr 600 f2) for a few weeks then on my way home from work hit a pretty rough bump and my bike died.. i pulled over it would still crank but not start.. it has minimal plastics and i noticed the cdi box fell off, i found it jammed in the bike and plugged it in now it wouldnt crank but it still gets power all the lights light up bright and the aux fan is rigged to turn on with the key it spins hard but wont crank

any ideas what else could have fallen off or wiggled loose?

p.s. got a used cdi box on ebay just plugged it in and still nothing so i came on here

thanks

Old 09-14-2012 | 11:15 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti

check your kill switch?

Old 09-15-2012 | 03:52 AM
|

flicked the kill switch 100000000s of times while cranking, thats not the problem

im pretty sure these bikes will crank but not fire up with the kill switch off, but not sure and cant test this theory on my bike...

any other brilliant ideas?

Old 09-15-2012 | 01:11 PM
|

..well while hitting the start button it wont crank tho

Old 09-17-2012 | 01:43 PM

So your engine isn't turning over at all on the starter?

when you press the start button, does your headlight turn off? It should. Just one thing to know how hacked up the original wiring was when it was fightered.

Get to where you can see your starter solenoid. Take a jumper cable, connect one positive clamp to the positive on your battery. hold the other positive end to the lug on the starter solenoid where the starter's positive cable connects. That should bypass the whole starting circuit, and manually make the starter spin.

If it spins, then turn on the key/start switch and see if you can start the bike that way.

report back - that will tell us at least that the starter is working.

Old 09-18-2012 | 10:21 AM
|

Thanks junky ill try it out after work...my dad asked if.i know how to jump the starter and npw i do...he also said to try bypassing the clucth safety so u dont need to pull the clutch to make.it fire

im not sure about the headlight thing either...last time i rode her at night the light was cutting out then coming back on the bike is very ghetto i got it for 550$ so the wiring is a mess, half the bolts are loose half the bolts are missing and the other half are zip ties lol

and yea the bike doesnt even try to crank but it gets juice the idiot lights shine brite, and it wont pop start i tried that too

thanks for the help and sorry if i came off as a dick at first im so frustrated

Old 09-18-2012 | 12:34 PM

if the bike is in neutral, you don't have to have the clutch pulled in to start it.

Old 09-21-2012 | 08:40 PM
|

alright adrenaline i got her running by changing the headlight fuse...now my headlight doesnt work i got a new bulb still nothing and i changed ALL the fuses...i bet its the ghetto wiring but any ideas?

if i toggle the light switch the high beam idiot light doesnt light up

not sure if i mentioned i only rode nightime a few times and the last time my light was flickering on and off so i think its a loose wire

thanks again for ur help

Old 09-23-2012 | 01:01 PM

almost sounds ike you might want to open up the housing for the switch, and check all of the connections in there.

Our bikes are kinda known to develop cracks in the solder joints after the years, and usually just need to be resoldered. Also - the headlight wiring on our bikes runs from the fuse to the starter button, then over to the high/low switch before running to the headlight bulb.

Also - you probably didn't replace the headlight fuse, but the ignition switch fuse - there are separate fuses for them in the fusebox.

Old 09-23-2012 | 10:21 PM
|

naw it was the headlight fuse i figured honda designed it so it wont start without the headlight...unless my fuses are labeled wrong

ill try going in the switch housing see if anything disconnected if not ill have to wait for my buddy to come check it out im not much of a mechanic but im learning with this and a p.o.s. pitbike i recently aquired..thanks again ill let you know what happens

Quick Reply: Hit a bump now 600 F2 wont start