F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Getting my F2 on the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would if it was a hard to find part...

The spacer is only $12 online. It's just not worth risking my forks for a few days. If they didn't make it anymore it would be a different matter.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 AM

Gotcha.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Just a quick update... I've nearly finished wiring up the F4i gauges, I just need to get the speed sensor sorted out. It turns out that I have enough parts laying around that I actually added stock blade connectors to the existing gauge connectors for the additional wiring needed by the F4i cluster. It makes the install very clean looking.

I'm considering just buying a hall effect sensor from digikey for the speedo setup. They're $15 and I can make a simple fork mount for it. Then I'll only have to set up the speedo once, even if I change my gearing. More later once I make up my mind.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Default Electrical upgrade!

I already had a new R/R in my parts pile that was destined for my old bike. I got connectors in the mail today from Japan and went ahead and replaced the old R/R. (which is now on ebay if anybody wants it).

I used a metrix allen bolt I had on hand and a 1/4 bolt/lock nut to get it mounted until I get over to the hardware store and replace it with some proper metric hardware that'll be proper. I discarded the original aluminum plate. I'm happy with the mount. It's solid, sits 1/8" away from the lower frame rail and all the connections are crimped and soldered for extra durability.

My axle spacer will be here tomorrow so I'll probably get around the block this weekend. Sadly, my clutch adjuster is broken, so I had to make yet another freakin part order from bike bandit. New lever, pivot bolt (old one was some random hack) and adjuster bolt/nut are on the way.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Default More progress!

Mounted the gauges:

Mounted the brake reservoir - it's a little off-center, but it'll be fine.

I ended up drilling and tapping a mounting hole in the cast portion of my right clipon. It's pretty beefy, so I don't expect problems. I may put together a wedge to get the reservoir level, dunno if it's worth the effort.

I still need to secure the R6 brake lines - it's tempting to hunt down some gixxer lines just to make it really clean. I'm hoping to get the bike on the road this week and start working on the speedo sensor as soon as the mount shows up.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Loved reading through this as personally I am sitting on page one post one myself

Old 04-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Here's the latest - I zip tied my front center fairing on with the headlight and left the two sides off. With that I got the bike rolling and took her out on her maiden voyage. Aside from some clearance issues with the gauges/controls it went great!

I moved the gauge cluster up a bit, but I expect to rebuild the bracket at least one more time to get it perfect. Meanwhile, I got the bike to pass state mechanical inspection - I got some insane inspector who thought he was supposed to RIDE my bike to test the brakes. He nearly dropped it, and ended up pulling a muscle in his leg or something. I'm torn between being pissed and amused by the whole thing. If I had more invested in the bike, I likely would have had some major words with his boss.

Anyhow, inspection is clear, so now I'm working on the speedometer and a circuit to fix the speedo. After that I'll be having a great time with the bike! More pics later.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Default Finally legal. Sheesh.

I finally acquired the paperwork to cover my fork swap so I killed an afternoon driving to the MVI station today. My bike is finally fully legally mine and licensed. I had to renew my safety inspection, but managed to get it done just in time to hit the license bureau before they closed.

I can't express how stoked I am that this is finally coming together. Now if it'll just stop raining.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:18 PM

Great work so far totally excited for u on your progress! i wish i had motorcycle parts yard.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be a noob question - but is the steer tube a standard diameter in MC's?

Otherwise how do you determine if the lower triple/steertube will work in your bike's headtube? I'm guessing getting the right bearings for a transplant like this is something else that is critical?

Quick Reply: Getting my F2 on the road