F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Getting my F2 on the road

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my F2 on the road

I bought a 1993 F2 yesterday, it's an interesting one.
The bike itself only has 5,300 miles on it. The kid who had it layed it down and slid into a curb. At least one of the fork legs is bent and the gauge cluster was shoved into the stem.

After stripping her, and pulling the gauge cluster down to rest on the fender she'll go straight or left, instead of just left. Before heading to bed I checked the battery and found 10v. Put my 1.5Amp charger on for the night and left it to sit.

Tonight I pulled and drained the tank. I was happy to find a dry fuel line going to the carbs since the bike has been off the road for at least a year.
Then I added some Sea Foam, put the tank back on and a gallon of fresh fuel.

After putting the choke on with a screwdriver (kid broke off the choke lever) the bike started up in short order! I ran it in for about 45 minutes, blipped the throttle a few times at random intervals and put her away for the night. I'm going to run the fuel through as the week goes by and then start doing the usual maintenance: oil, maybe coolant (it's bright green now), plugs, etc.

Meanwhile, the front fork is going out the window. I've got an 06' GSX-R fork, wheel and F1 brakes in my parts pile from a previous project. I think I'm going to put a F4i gauge cluster on the bike since I'm losing the mechanical pick up anyway.

Aside from that, it's a few broken bits and she'll be back.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Pictures as u go please !!!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Default Pics are not a problem. Got the front end pulled too.

The odometer... slightly smushed.

Here she is sans fairings. The bike was perfect on one side...
Fairings were pulled as soon as we got it home, so no original photo.

After a trip to Harbor Freight to pick up a stand, I got the front end off and pulled the bearing races.

Here's a terrible shot of the old fork next to the new fork:

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 PM

what fork is the new set up?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Wow, yeah I want to know more about what forks those are!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:09 AM

man, sounds like you'll end up with a nice trick F2!

Any chance the speedometer hub/cable and all the pieces in the wheel, seals/bearings/spacer between the bearings made it?

If so how much $$ ?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 AM

looks wider. will it need new trees?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Default The fork

The fork is from a 2006 GSX-R 600. Fully adjustable, light weight and the forks are 50mm. I have a GSX-R wheel (with something like 310 or 320mm rotors)

I'm going to use some 50mm CBR clipons and the GSX-R tree looks like it'll bolt up just fine once I've got the special/funky bearing for up top.

Since I need an electronic speedo anyway (and the old one is smashed) I've sourced a F4i cluster. Now I just have to find a speed sensor for it.

I've put some parts (wheel, megasquirt for now) on the bay, just pm for info since I can't post to classifieds yet.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM

I'd hoped to get the bike around the block, but I'm a little screwed. I'm missing the front wheel spacer! Damn.
Here's a shot of the fork mounted on the bike. I used a bearing from Zoran and a dealer GSX-R lower bearing. Then I put the CBR upper seal in my lathe and turned the inside diameter until it fit the GSXR stem.
Next up, brake caliper fitment (R1 Monoblock calipers) and some guage reworking.
I will probably make my own 'speedohealer' once I get a speed (hall effect) sensor mounted.

Will

Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Since you have a lathe, why not just turn down your own spacer? I'm sure you could find the dimensions somewhere out there.

Quick Reply: Getting my F2 on the road