F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Gasoline + eye = great fun

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gasoline + eye = great fun

blew air into the tanks breather hose (smaller one) and gasoline started rushing out of it now whenever i turn it over it leaks out breather hose... HELP!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 PM

I'd try to drain the bowls but it seems like the fuel probably won't come out till you pull the carbs and put them upside down and all that until it all comes out of the dry passages in the carbs. I bet it's all up inside your diaphragms.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jtkardel
I'd try to drain the bowls but it seems like the fuel probably won't come out till you pull the carbs and put them upside down and all that until it all comes out of the dry passages in the carbs. I bet it's all up inside your diaphragms.
idk what it was. your probably right about the diaphram's. Put the tank on the side and opened the the tank, musta been a vacuum thing.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Wait, one post talks about the tank breather hose and another post talks about the carbs. What exactly is the problem?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tank's breather hose? Are you talking about the overflow hose that hangs out the bottom of the bike or are you referring to the vacuum line hooked up to the petcock?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by woo545
Tank's breather hose? Are you talking about the overflow hose that hangs out the bottom of the bike or are you referring to the vacuum line hooked up to the petcock?
overflow

Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM

Ok, so in the process of doing my projects I saw this thread pop up and think it may be getting confusing so I thought I might be able to lend a hand in your descriptions with some pics. In which hole did the blowing occur and which hole did the fuel come out of?
Pic 1 is the tank
Pic 2 is the petcock
After choosing the correct pic, tell us the right fitting or left fitting (big/small hole) according to which it came out of.
Then I can add some other pics in an explanation if needed.

Also when you say "turn it over" do you mean physically turn the tank upside down, or do you mean try to start the bike?

Hope this helps clear things up for everyone.

Attached Thumbnails Gasoline + eye = great fun-dsc01075.jpg   Gasoline + eye = great fun-dsc01077.jpg  

Last edited by madhaxor_3; 08-25-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: extra info needed
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by madhaxor_3
Ok, so in the process of doing my projects I saw this thread pop up and think it may be getting confusing so I thought I might be able to lend a hand in your descriptions with some pics. In which hole did the blowing occur and which hole did the fuel come out of?
Pic 1 is the tank
Pic 2 is the petcock
After choosing the correct pic, tell us the right fitting or left fitting (big/small hole) according to which it came out of.
Then I can add some other pics in an explanation if needed.

Also when you say "turn it over" do you mean physically turn the tank upside down, or do you mean try to start the bike?

Hope this helps clear things up for everyone.
well thanks for taking the initiative, pic #1 is what i blew into (lol) and the fuel came out of #1 and I turned the tank on its side.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Ok, so you blew into the overflow drain hose. If you had a VERY full tank of gas I could see that it might push some fuel out due to excess pressure in the tank. If you turned it on it's side then you most likely tipped the fuel level past the overflow drain hole in the gas cap/fill neck area.
Conveniently I took pics of that too, so everyone that hasn't experienced it before can see where it comes from and the hole it comes out of.

Pic 1: gas cap
Pic 2: fill hole, also in pic 2 to the left of the big hole is a much smaller hole. That hole is the overflow drain if you fill your tank too much.

Explanation of fuel rushing out when turned on it's side:
When the tank is turned over/tipped too far and the fuel level reaches that hole, the fuel will drain out. The reason it is rushing out is negative (maybe positive) vacuume, the physics of it are not really that important right now.

This happens to me almost every time I take my tank off because of the angle I have to tip it to get my hands in to disconnect the tubes.

Not to worry, just set the tank down as close to how it would set on the bike (see pic 3) and the fuel should stop flowing out.

Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll try to think of a better way to explain it.

Attached Thumbnails Gasoline + eye = great fun-dsc01079.jpg   Gasoline + eye = great fun-dsc01078.jpg   Gasoline + eye = great fun-rsz_dsc01080.jpg  
Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 PM

wow I just looked at that fill hole pic...it sure is dirty in there . guess I should clean it up a bit while the tank is off.

Quick Reply: Gasoline + eye = great fun