F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter?

Folks,

Is there a fuel filter built into the petcock system on the fuel tank? I imagine the answer is no, so does anyone know of any problems with putting a filter in the line between tank and carbs? I've just cleaned out the carbs and would like keep them clean as long as possible.

Thanks.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be a screen that filters large particles, but, I believe that's all.
An in-line filter is a generally a good thing, can't think of a reason not to install
one if it doesn't come stock. Run a can of Seafoam every 500miles or so, in the gas
helps keep the carbs up to snuff, as well.

Ern

Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a goldwing fuel filter in mine. The largest inline Honda OEM filter($15) there is. Just cut the fuel line, put 2 hose clamps on follow the directions of the arrows on OEM filter. Shove the filter into the lines and close the hose clamps. Done!
Better than cleaning the crap out of the carbs.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:55 PM

Cheers, good to know about the Goldwing filter. I think that is what I will go with. I take it you used that one because it fits nicely into the standard F2 fuel lines? I think they are 3/8 internal diameter.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 PM

You can go to like autozone and buy a fuel filter that we use on mopeds

Old 01-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, the diameter is slightly(I mean slightly) a little bit larger than 3/8", but a tight fit. You will have to shove it in there, but no real fight or a time occupier. Best and easiest $15 spent on your bike. I play by the safe but not sorry idea. You will be happy you did this. Here is the part number and you can find these all day on ebay, make sure it is that part number, but Goldwings have a way smaller size for reserve; H16900-MG8-003

Honda Goldwing Parts & Honda Goldwing Accessories - GL1500 OEM Honda Fuel Filter

Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
To be honest, the diameter is slightly(I mean slightly) a little bit larger than 3/8", but a tight fit. You will have to shove it in there, but no real fight or a time occupier. Best and easiest $15 spent on your bike. I play by the safe but not sorry idea. You will be happy you did this. Here is the part number and you can find these all day on ebay, make sure it is that part number, but Goldwings have a way smaller size for reserve; H16900-MG8-003

Honda Goldwing Parts & Honda Goldwing Accessories - GL1500 OEM Honda Fuel Filter

Thanks for the part number and link. I had a look online and realised it might be hard to work out which one to get so glad you posted that. A tight fit is good, don't want fuel leaking out.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 PM

what about on fuel injected bikes? anyone cut the line and put a filter in there?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Should be one stock from the factory, if there's not, it's always a good idea.
Injector nozzles are as likely to clog from debris as carb jets.

Ern

Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM

well theres not one in the line. the fuel pump has one in the tank but its more for larger debris it seems. I just didnt know how sensitive the fuel pressure systems are. I wouldnt want to alter the fuel pressure. plus id rather have an inline filter i can change out each winter instead of having to go into the tank. I smell a how to hah

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter?