F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

A few questions about my new F2

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about my new F2

I just bought an F2 so I don't know too much about the bike. I took off the 2 side fairings today and I saw that the Coolant was bone dry. Not even a drop in the damn thing. I then checked the brake fluid and it was a little below the bottom line. I also checked the Transmission fluid (I think) and it seemed okay but maybe a little low.

So I have a few questions...

Are there any other fluid levels I should be checking? I am sure there is a way to check the Engine Oil but I can't find it anywhere. (No owners manual).

What kind of Coolant do I put in the bike? Will car Coolant work?

Anything else I should know guys?

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 AM

Transmission fluid is actually your OIL. These bikes have a wet clutch, so the clutch is in the oil.

I would do the following to any new bike in which the prior maintenance isn't guaranteed:

Replace all the coolant
Replace the oil and oil filter
Clean the carbs
Replace the air filter
Replace the spark plugs
Do a valve inspection/adjust

Auto coolant will work, although engine ice is reltiavely affordable and should treat your bike better.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 AM

Also: cam chat tensioners (CCT) are renowned for goign bad, as are Regulator/ Rectifiers. If your bike makes a funny grinding noise at all when starting that later goes away, your CCT. The R/R should be obvious since it'll render the bike unridable usually.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM

Okay great thanks for the help. Carbs were actually jetted over the winter so that is fine.

What are all the fluids that are in the bike?

Brake, Coolant, oil...Anything else?

edit: Are all of these fluids that I will be replacing able to be serviced by only taking off the right fairing?

What type of engine oil do you guys use?

How do I access the Air filter?

Sorry for all the questions haha

Thanks

Last edited by ljastangs21; 07-19-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:34 PM

I use castrol syntec part synthetic. It treats my fine.

There are no other fluids, besides blinker juice

Remove all the plastics and do a general inspection of everything anyways. It requires little to no work.

Air filter requires removing the has tank. The air box is beneath it, and inside of that is your air filter. Removing all this gets you on your way to the spark plugs, so you might as well do them while you're there. At this point it'll have had a full tune up.

The carbs were "jetted" over the winter... as in rejetted or you just cleaned the current jets?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
I use castrol syntec part synthetic. It treats my fine.

There are no other fluids, besides blinker juice

Remove all the plastics and do a general inspection of everything anyways. It requires little to no work.

Air filter requires removing the has tank. The air box is beneath it, and inside of that is your air filter. Removing all this gets you on your way to the spark plugs, so you might as well do them while you're there. At this point it'll have had a full tune up.

The carbs were "jetted" over the winter... as in rejetted or you just cleaned the current jets?
My blinkers have been out of juice for the last two months and i havnt been able to find a store that sells it anywhere!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by nitrodude
My blinkers have been out of juice for the last two months and i havnt been able to find a store that sells it anywhere!
EBAY is where you need to look

Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Like I said before the Coolant tank was bone dry. When I add new coolant do I only need to but in the tank or should I also put it in the radiator as well?

Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ljastangs21
Okay great thanks for the help. Carbs were actually jetted over the winter so that is fine.

What are all the fluids that are in the bike?

Brake, Coolant, oil...Anything else?

edit: Are all of these fluids that I will be replacing able to be serviced by only taking off the right fairing?

What type of engine oil do you guys use?

How do I access the Air filter?

Sorry for all the questions haha

Thanks
I posted this in one of your other threads - but you can download the Honda Service manual for free, will answer all of the questions asked here, and most of the ones you'll probably ask down the road:

http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-14.html

Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ljastangs21
Like I said before the Coolant tank was bone dry. When I add new coolant do I only need to but in the tank or should I also put it in the radiator as well?
I'd drain the whole system, and do a full refill. Drain the block & radiator per the manual, drain the overflow tank (What you're saying is already empty).

Use a 50/50 mix of distilled water (Never tap water!!!) and antifreeze. Make it easy on yourself and just buy the pre-mixed stuff (Green, not Dex-cool), verify the bottle says safe for aluminum blocks. Bike will take about 3.5 quarts IIRC, so a 1 gal bottle will be all you need, and you won't use all of it. Fill the radiator up to just below the port where the hose from the reserve/overflow tank plugs in. Run the bike for a minute or 2 with the cap off, kill the motor and refill the radiator - do this for a few cycles til the radiator quits taking fluid. Use towels - this process will result in some fluid sloshing out of the radiator - make sure it doesn't slosh onto your brakes/rotors.

Once you have the radiator filled properly, then add coolant to the overflow tank up to the full line.

Take the bike for a drive, then park it till everything fully cools off - check level in the overflow tank, top off as needed.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 07-19-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: A few questions about my new F2