F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

F2 hard as crap to start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 hard as crap to start!

okay so my f2 has been running great since I fixed the fuel issue but now she's not actin right and I'm about ready to kick her to the curb. It takes me at a minimum of 10 minutes to get her started no matter what, the ting is once she finally fires it runs perfectly fine. Great throttle response, idles fine, you name it. I can even turn it off for an hour or so and it'll fire right back up but if it sits for say 3 or 4, it goes right back to th hard starting crap. Got brand new ngk's, fresh oil change and still have the same problem! Now I did notice she is running quite rich as the old plugs were nice and black and wet. Next step to lean her out a bit? If so how would I go about that? I do have a jet kit in her. Just sold my car and I need my bike to be running right!!!!! Someone please help me!!!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have friends in Charlotte - if you want, you can leave it and the title on their curb, and I'll swing by next week.

Yes - if you're running dripping wet rich, it could take forever to start, almost flooding out. Pilot jets maybe? Maybe shut your petcock off overnight in case the vacuum valve might not be closing and allowing the tank to gravity feed and fill up the float bowls, possibly even pushing past the needles.

When you park the bike for the day, drive the last half mile or so with the fuel turned off. See if it cranks easier in the morning. Maybe even try cranking before turning the fuel back on.

Are you using the choke when cold cranking? Have you verified the choke is actually operating properly?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:17 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoosterF3
okay so my f2 has been running great since I fixed the fuel issue but now she's not actin right and I'm about ready to kick her to the curb. It takes me at a minimum of 10 minutes to get her started no matter what, the ting is once she finally fires it runs perfectly fine. Great throttle response, idles fine, you name it. I can even turn it off for an hour or so and it'll fire right back up but if it sits for say 3 or 4, it goes right back to th hard starting crap. Got brand new ngk's, fresh oil change and still have the same problem! Now I did notice she is running quite rich as the old plugs were nice and black and wet. Next step to lean her out a bit? If so how would I go about that? I do have a jet kit in her. Just sold my car and I need my bike to be running right!!!!! Someone please help me!!!!!

turn your gas off everytime you stop. Itll proly fix that problem.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
I have friends in Charlotte - if you want, you can leave it and the title on their curb, and I'll swing by next week.

Yes - if you're running dripping wet rich, it could take forever to start, almost flooding out. Pilot jets maybe? Maybe shut your petcock off overnight in case the vacuum valve might not be closing and allowing the tank to gravity feed and fill up the float bowls, possibly even pushing past the needles.

When you park the bike for the day, drive the last half mile or so with the fuel turned off. See if it cranks easier in the morning. Maybe even try cranking before turning the fuel back on.

Are you using the choke when cold cranking? Have you verified the choke is actually operating properly?
nah ill pass on leaving the title and the bike with your friends

I am using the choke to cold crank but have also tried to with it off with about the same result, really the best way ive found to get it started is with the choke off and the bike at WOT! Took her apart yesterday and changed oil and plugs and did verify that the choke is working properly, i just got home from work and turned the gas off so we will see here in a couple hours if she starts.
Originally Posted by nickels
turn your gas off everytime you stop. Itll proly fix that problem.
trying that now!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoosterF3
nah ill pass on leaving the title and the bike with your friends

I am using the choke to cold crank but have also tried to with it off with about the same result, really the best way ive found to get it started is with the choke off and the bike at WOT! Took her apart yesterday and changed oil and plugs and did verify that the choke is working properly, i just got home from work and turned the gas off so we will see here in a couple hours if she starts.

trying that now!

Im assuming you rode the bike home and turned the gas off right before you turned the bike off...that would be ideal... The WOT starts tells me its flooded. Thats how you start a flooded bike.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 PM

im assuming that it is flooded, how would i go about adjusting my carbs so thats not an issue?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 PM

if what im reading is correct, the more the pilot jet is screwed in the more fuel i will be getting, so therefore mine should be screwed out by 1/4 or 1/2 a turn to lean the idle out some correct? im hoping this would be the issue, still kinda makes me wonder why it runs perfect after i finally get it started!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Flooding after sitting for awhile sounds like the petcock is not shutting off and the resulting pressure is forcing gas past the float valves. I had to replace the needle valves (rubber tipped) and the floats (if they are not to spec, you have to replace em) and the petcock to totally cure my flooding issues.

The pilot jet are probably close enough for now. Messing with them will not stop the flooding issue. In = lean, out = rich.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM

tore the bike down today, removed the new plugs, they looked fine, a lil wet but that probibly because i was tryin to crank her forever! carbs were a lil dirty but i cleaned them up really good. now the wife was hurrying me and i just realized i hooked the damn plug wires up backwards on reinstall!!!! realized this after looking at sandmans writeup. Im gonna switch em around tonight and see if that helps. Also i checked spark and it was blue but didnt look quite as big as it should be.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 AM

well i got the plugs hooked back up right, poured a little starter fluid in the carbs, got her to fire and immediately hooked the gas tank up and let her idle to operating temp, shut it off, put everything back together and she started right back up. Put some seafoam in the tank and went on a 30 minute ride. She was acting fine and running great!!!! Til this morning, right back to not starting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im ready to blow this damn thing up! Wondering if my batt my not have enough amps at cold start?

Quick Reply: F2 hard as crap to start!