F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Coils / Plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coils / Plug wires

I'm sure anybody that has ever removed their coils or plug wires has sat for a few minutes scratching their head with the wires crossed up trying to remember how they go back in.

I made this little diagram that should help everybody out with that:

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Fortunately my wires and heads are both labeled for me

Old 05-15-2010, 10:49 PM

wow this actually helped me out a lot. i was painting my bike last night and came on here and saw this post decided what the heck might as well check mine cus i just bought my f2 a few weeks ago and i changed the plugs but didnt check the coils to make sure they were in the right spots but i guess the origanl owner for some reason swaped the #1 and #4 and it was sounding really crappy but now it sounds great thanks alot for the pic

Attached Thumbnails Coils / Plug wires-bike11.jpg   Coils / Plug wires-bike13.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 AM

Is it really possible to change plugs trough the access covers, or is it better to remove tank, air box etc and do it from above?

Or maybe lower side farings are enough?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can change the plugs from the access cover. I've done it several times.
It tight. Very tight, but doable. Removing the side fairings won't improve the access much.

Personally i prefer to do it from above. Remove the tank and air box. Undo the coils and remove the sheet of rubber above the engine. It takes a bit more time to do it this way, but less hassle. Also, this gives you an opportunity to inspect/clean/change the air-filter while you're at it.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Viking
Yes, you can change the plugs from the access cover. I've done it several times.
It tight. Very tight, but doable. Removing the side fairings won't improve the access much.

Personally i prefer to do it from above. Remove the tank and air box. Undo the coils and remove the sheet of rubber above the engine. It takes a bit more time to do it this way, but less hassle. Also, this gives you an opportunity to inspect/clean/change the air-filter while you're at it.
I did it from the service panels, and didn't take so long time, could acess 3 from the left and 1 from the right. I didnt thighten to much almost only fingerthight. So guess i'll take a ride now in the sun to burn in the new iririum plugs.

Its graduation time here in Sweden now so lots of girls running around :-)

Last edited by ljung; 06-03-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seems to me that this diagram is wrong... I am comparing it to another diagram in the manual and wires #1 and #4 are reversed on the coil (not the head)

Could anybody confirm this on their bike? I'm still putting mine back together and can't get it to run in any configuration.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM

its possible they are reversed but shouldnt matter due to the coil fires both plugs at the same time

Old 06-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Is that the "wasted spark" You're referring to?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Is that the "wasted spark" You're referring to?
yes sir

Quick Reply: Coils / Plug wires