F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

carb, starter and throttle problems...big mess.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011 | 04:10 AM
|
Default carb, starter and throttle problems...big mess.

this will probably be a little bit long but here it goes.

bough this '93 F2 last night. guy had it running when i got there. told him to turn it off and start it again and cruise it around the lot and checked the bike out, etc. cool. bought it for $1350. loaded it up and took it home. he said that the starter clutch needed to be fixed and it wouldnt start however it could be push started. ya know. cool. easy. he added 2 brand new tires as well as the idler gear, flywheel... all the parts needed to diy.

here's where the trouble starts...as if it hasnt already...

i unload the bike. got a nice hill in my apartment complex so i try and roll it to start it up... it wants to start... but just wont start. im trying to do this rolling start for around an hour and a half before i FINALLY get it started after the batter is now dead as well. got it started and now it gets weird. throttle is unresponsive. but since im on the hill i have to use the brake or ill run into the building in front of me. i pull the front brake and bike REEEEVS up. weird. the bike stops i put it in neutral and the bike it trying to keep up and run. lights are flickering. pull the brake, bike revs up to 4 or 5... release brake. goes back to a choking idle. twist the throttle... nothing. i abandoned it for the night.

this morning i have daylight and no more sleeping neighbors so i get on the bike around noon... rolling starts, letting clutch go. ya know. nothing... around the third attempt i smell gas. look down and there is a big puddle behind me. i get off the bike. look around and where my headers meet the pipe right around where it curves up into the pipe appx where my foot peg is its leaking gas from there.... meaning entire header is filled with gas up to the leak. WOW.

so here is where i speculate.... feel free to bash or correct me from here on out.

im guessing that the carb has to be cleaned and is all gunked up... maybe float got stuck and fuel just kept feeding through? i downloaded the f2 manual and along with dissevered's carb cleaning 101 sticky i am in the midst of my first carb cleaning. up to this point i have the carb off but got stopped due to a stripped screw that im going to have to take somewhere to get taken out to get to the float inside... it happens to be the carb that the gas leaked into the combustion chamber. i looked into the combustion chamber (this is about 10hrs after the initial problem mind you) and its still full of gas. hopefully that's a good thing as i have good compression and much gas hasnt leaked past the rings... just into the headers.

so... after i can get this carb cleaned... whats next? do i reassemble? why does my bike rev when i pull the brake? why isnt there any response when i twist the throttle? do i tackle the idler gear and flywheel before attempting to push start it? aaaah!

here is my course of action. im gonna clean the carb. im noob to adjusting jets, floats, etc. im just gonna wing it i guess and i can tune it all as i go. clean the tank, add the seafoam everyone recommends. change oil and filters. attempt the idler gear (starter clutch?) and flywheel job so i can use the electric start and abandon the hill starts lol.

if youre still reading... you are a saint and i welcome all criticism, questions, opinions, help. thank!

Old 08-12-2011 | 05:41 AM

Well, take out the spark plugs and blow the fuel out of the cylinders ASAP (roll it and pop the clutch in gear). Then you'll probably want to get that starter fixed, along with a new battery. Bikes that sit for a while tend to have dead batteries that won't hold a charge. Then put the carbs back on once you've got that sorted out. Should work after that.

Old 08-12-2011 | 03:05 PM
|

Originally Posted by buickid
Well, take out the spark plugs and blow the fuel out of the cylinders ASAP (roll it and pop the clutch in gear). Then you'll probably want to get that starter fixed, along with a new battery. Bikes that sit for a while tend to have dead batteries that won't hold a charge. Then put the carbs back on once you've got that sorted out. Should work after that.

k thanks. btw, so i can wrap my brain around it. what is popping the clutch into gear doing for me?

Old 08-12-2011 | 08:20 PM

momentum/inertia I assume pulse generator starts putting out vltg to the icm and it starts dropping grounds to the ignition coil into a cyclical process and buick is right if you dont fix that hydrolock problem your fuel can eventually leak past the rings and dissolve into the oil.. you dont want that because then YOU will have a compression problem resultant from cylinder wash down...

Also going out on a limb here sounds like your air/fuel ratio my need to be adjusted try adjusting the pilot screw to compensate. turn to the right = lean / to the left = rich ; spec is 2 1/8 turns to left from full right

Old 08-13-2011 | 02:49 AM
|

update. cleaned carb. got gas out of the chamber and replaced spark plugs and oil and filter. cleaned gas tank with seafoam and put a lil bit in the gas. replaced fuel filter. put it all back together...

gas is leaking from where header meets pipe again after 3 attempts at running start and popping clutch. still no start. gonna try again tomorrow. if it still dont work, ill replace starter clutch and flywheel since i have the parts. maybe that will make this easier. cant start the bike on power with the switch. batter is good and charged...

if anyone is in the san diego area, i got a cold beer and friendship to offer if ya wanna check the bike out and diagnose this disease with me... first carbureted bike so im a noob...

Old 08-13-2011 | 05:33 AM

Sounds like your choke, or SE valves are stuck open. Is your rail returning like it should?

I hope by "carb cleaning" you meant you removed them, tore them down and shot out all the passages/jets. Not just shooting carb cleaner in 'em from the outside or something.

Cheers

Old 08-13-2011 | 06:22 PM
|

i spent about 18 hours total doing what i have done so far. i thoroughly cleaned everything. as far as i could tell nothing was broke or needed to be replaced with the exception of a gummy and corroded air filter and fuel filter int he tank...

why is gasoline getting into the headers and leaking out on the ground by the tail pipe... am i not understanding something here?

update... started right up! first attempt at push start. im so happy... idling at 4k rpms though... need to fix that

Last edited by vossler; 08-13-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-13-2011 | 07:10 PM

lol I always love when things fix themselves hah

Old 08-13-2011 | 08:31 PM
July 2013 ROTM

how did you make out

Old 08-14-2011 | 01:27 AM

so what was it?

Quick Reply: carb, starter and throttle problems...big mess.