F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Cam/Sprocket/Timing Issue FIXED! Hallelujah! (and video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011 | 05:52 PM
|
Default Cam/Sprocket/Timing Issue FIXED! Hallelujah! (and video)

So, the story, for those of you who didn't read the other post.....

Bought this clean 1992 F2 project bike with 9000 miles from a guy without hearing it run. Got it home, fired it up, idled fine for a minute or two until the engine started making a horrible noise and died. Pulled timing cover and valve cover, found that the previous owner had done some sort of work in the top end and in the process, forgotten to torque the cam sprocket bolts to spec; all four had backed out, the intake sprocket had fallen off its cam and the exhaust sprocket was not far behind.

Recovered fallen bolts from timing cover, replaced cam sprocket bolts (all four were stripped, but mounting holes in cams were undamaged), re-torqued sprockets, cam caps, spark plugs, and valve cover as per Honda spec. Had to find TDC for piston #1 the old-fashioned way, as I have no timing marks on my (apparently aftermarket) pulse gen rotor. But found it all the same, and timed the cams to match. Somehow it seems that I managed to escape bending/breaking any valves when the motor died. Runs perfect now, with the exception of the loud and unmuffled pipe, which I actually kind of like.

EDIT: The clattery noise when the bike first fires is just the open pipe sputtering a little because the bike's not warmed up. The valvetrain is positively silent and smooth. Sounds like new.

1992 Honda CBR F2 first fire-up after fixing cam sprockets - YouTube

Special thanks to AdrenalinJunky. Wouldn't have had the ***** to find TDC/reassemble without your help.

Old 08-17-2011 | 07:54 PM

That awesome. Dodged a bullet for sure.

Old 08-17-2011 | 11:12 PM
|

thanks frank. yeah i was shocked when the thing fired up like nothing had ever happened. can't kill a honda, i guess. :-)

Old 08-18-2011 | 01:52 AM

Nice work sounds like a good runner now, and your bike is so clean!!!

Old 08-18-2011 | 02:41 AM
|

thanks Red! yeah it was taken apart and painted by one of the PO's - side covers and block and exhaust and swingarm have all been painted recently, as has the frame and triples and forks. looks like a good job, though it's not sticking on the block very well. but then again, the plastics will cover that....when i can afford to buy them :-)

Old 08-18-2011 | 09:28 AM

Awesome! I love firing mine up with nothing but the headers on when I was rebuilding it. sounded mean. At the same time my neighbors didn't appreciate the random 10pm test-firings, and I knew I wouldn't be able to stand it on the road that loud. Turns out my V&H pipe isn't super-quiet, even with a repacked baffle.

Glad it worked out - yeah the bike looks super clean - thanks for sharing the success. A lot of people sign up, beg for help, get help, and are never heard from again. It's nice to get a success story every once in a while.

Old 08-18-2011 | 11:50 AM
|

amen, AJ. but I was on here for a year or two a while back, when i had my '94 F2, and this site saved my a$$ quite a few times. i will be sure to update as the project progresses. Danmoto GP exhaust is on the way, I'll definitely need to share that. :-)

Old 08-18-2011 | 11:57 PM

nice man howd u get a black cover on your trans and crank for that matter?

Old 08-19-2011 | 12:34 AM
|

thanks coldflood. not sure how i managed that. but i assume that since the PO painted the frame and block and swingarm, he must have done the covers too.

Old 08-19-2011 | 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by moto_addict
thanks coldflood. not sure how i managed that. but i assume that since the PO painted the frame and block and swingarm, he must have done the covers too.
it looks awesome especially with the same color rims

Quick Reply: Cam/Sprocket/Timing Issue FIXED! Hallelujah! (and video)