F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Bike slowly stalls out after it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue.. all mine was, was the hose plugged into the left side of the carb was out, plugged it in and fixed it. Don't think that'll help, but just check the simple stuff.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:24 PM

You mentioned a cheap battery. Electronics can be fussy about the voltage needed to operate correctly. Check terminals and grounds.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 PM

The hose of the left side of the carbs is plugged in.

The battery was a bad one from crapmart and I replaced that this spring cause it was fried.

I put new spark plugs in it tonight and it did the same thing (thought it would). I pulled the regulator/rectifier to bring it in to work and check it tomorrow and I noticed the top left connector (one of the Yellow ones that goes to the Alternator) looked like it was burnt. It could have been some type of anti-corrosive stuff but I don't think so.

So now I'm going to check the R/R at work tomorrow on an O-scope or multimeter.. hopefully that tells me something!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM

yep, the r/r is probably toast unless those scorch marks were left from last time it was replaced. My r/r brunt both of the yellow wires on the connector, threw a new r/r on there, bike is perfect.

The only flaw I can see in replacing the R/R and expecting the bike to run is that on a charged battery, you bike will start and run without the r/r plugged in.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by halffast1g
The only flaw I can see in replacing the R/R and expecting the bike to run is that on a charged battery, you bike will start and run without the r/r plugged in.
Yeah.. I brought it to work today to use an oscilloscope on it to check for resistance between the pins and they were not what the manual said they should be. So I think it has seen better days.

I don't however see how the R/R being bad would be causing what happening. The bike starts and runs awesome until it gets warm and then slow starts to idle lower and lower until it dies out. (and no it's not my idle adjustment screw) You can start it right back up if you give it some throttle and once it starts if you play with the throttle it will run... just sounds like it's running rough (sorta like on 2 cylinders or just not firing right).

If the R/R got fried is there anyway that the alternator/stator got messed up? and if so would they effect the bike once it gets warm?

I feel like it's something electrical.. wasn't the coils or spark plugs. I haven't really checked the ICM but I would think it wouldn't start if the ICM was messed up. None of the fuses were blown. The only other thing I could think of was if there was a relay in the circuit somewhere that is messed up possibly... sorta at a loss for this.

What sucks more is that I'm in North Dakota and the prime riding season has begun and is not that long!!

Another thing to add, this all started last fall when I put some aftermarket rear blinkers on to clear up the rear on my bike. The battery was low so we had to jump it with my car battery (the car was not running) and the jumper cables got hooked up backwards because of some anti-corrosive spray on the negative terminal. The ignition key was turned ON but it was never cranked over, we noticed what was going on. I've read somewhere that some blinkers needed relays or something.. mine do not have relays.. is this causing something weird?

Last edited by j0nptw; 05-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM

I seem to be having the same issue. I am betting it is just that my carbs need re-synced and cleaned. Bike sat still for about 2.5 weeks recently. Ran great and then started to die off as I got home. Short ride to work <3 miles one way.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM

I just ordered a GSXR R/R to put on it, just waiting for the arrival. I'm going to check the stator voltage first tho to make sure that is still good.

If the stator is good and a new R/R doesn't fix the problem I'm pretty stumped... Does anyone know if swapping my rear blinkers for smaller LED blinkers custom fender eliminator will cause funny electrical problems?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:58 PM

I don't see why it would. Are they blinking at a normal speed?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM

My bike is doing the same crap as yours. I burnt up 2 r/r's and thought the stator was overcharging, but it is not. I replaced a blown 10 amp fuse, the second one from the front on the fuse block and now my bike does exactly the same thing. The bike was running like a dream for about a month before all this happened so I know its not carb related.

I really am stumped , I had all my money on the stator being the issue but then this came up. I don't even know anymore

Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by halffast1g
My bike is doing the same crap as yours. I burnt up 2 r/r's and thought the stator was overcharging, but it is not. I replaced a blown 10 amp fuse, the second one from the front on the fuse block and now my bike does exactly the same thing. The bike was running like a dream for about a month before all this happened so I know its not carb related.

I really am stumped , I had all my money on the stator being the issue but then this came up. I don't even know anymore
Did you do anything special to your bike? or did it just burn up a R/R one day and it hasn't been the same since?

Quick Reply: Bike slowly stalls out after it warms up