Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

first time with a bike at a dragstrip

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time with a bike at a dragstrip

well tonight me and a friend decided to hit the test ant tune night at a local 1/8th mile. i wanted to run at a 1/4 mile track but all require full leathers and i dont have that kindof money, but anyway. it was a blast. deffinately need to work on my launch though. and after 2 passes the friendliest staging guy talked us into competeing in a bracket event. drew names from a hat, i got a free run so i made it to the second round, then i dialed in a 7.86 and ran a 7.863. other guy with a gixxer 1000 dialed in a 6.18 and ran a 6.32. now im not too sure about how that all works but im pretty sure i was supposed to move on to the next round but this guy had the biggest mouth in the world and made it a huge ordeal saying he won so i said **** it and went home. buuttt anyway, great times, heres a few videos. im the one with hids, buddies bike is the white naked gixxer 600

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=mesolo.mp4
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...dshanerun1.mp4
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...dshanerun2.mp4
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u...nickvsbusa.mp4

Last edited by itlnF4I; 06-12-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin good. I feel you on that launch thing, I went to a drag strip for the first time last week and was getting like 2.6 60 foots. Anyways, practice makes perfect. IMO, not a bad way to spend a Friday night.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 AM

i only ended up with 2 slips out of 4 runs, and it would happen that i dont have the slip for the fastest pass at 7.863. but the first run ever was

.428 reaction
2.073 60ft
7.886 660ft.
97.88 mph

Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM

I'm going back to the track this Friday and hoping to get my 60 fts down to that 2.0 second mark... back when I had an Evo I was pulling 1.6s :P. I only managed an 8.3 in the 1/8th, but I figure if I can shave half a second on my 60 foot I'll be well below the 8s in the 1/8 and hit my target of mid 11's in the 1/4.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM

ill go back soon and see if i can launch a little sooner and harder

Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Oh, here's a handy tip my buddy let me in on. Try and stage shallow, i.e. as far back on the staging area as possible so you're just barely lighting up the two staging lights and launch a split second before the green hits. That way you're already moving when the green hits i.e. better reaction time + faster starting speed. My buddy's one of the best bracket racers I've ever seen and he swears by the method.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 AM

good tip sir (no homo) lol. i ordered barnett clutch springs and ill be getting a front sprocket probly -2 to swap out on race nights. so well see what happens.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by itlnF4I
well tonight me and a friend decided to hit the test ant tune night at a local 1/8th mile. i wanted to run at a 1/4 mile track but all require full leathers and i dont have that kindof money, but anyway. it was a blast. deffinately need to work on my launch though. and after 2 passes the friendliest staging guy talked us into competeing in a bracket event. drew names from a hat, i got a free run so i made it to the second round, then i dialed in a 7.86 and ran a 7.863. other guy with a gixxer 1000 dialed in a 6.18 and ran a 6.32. now im not too sure about how that all works but im pretty sure i was supposed to move on to the next round but this guy had the biggest mouth in the world and made it a huge ordeal saying he won so i said **** it and went home. buuttt anyway, great times, heres a few videos. im the one with hids, buddies bike is the white naked gixxer 600
You lost the race because you had a bad reaction time. In bracket racing if you dont have a .0x something reaction you will most likely get beat. Say you had a .400 and your opponet had .100. He just gained 3 tenths on you off the line and can run up to 3 tenths slower than his dial-in and still beat you. Yes its important to run close to your dial-in but a low reaction time is what wins races.

The short staging method mentioned above works well. Its the method I use and I have very low reaction times.

As for your suggested gearing change I would only go down 1 on the front and buy a lowering strap. Going down 2 would be a huge change and even with a strap I doubt you would be able to keep the front wheel down which kills your time.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 AM

lol..yea he beat u.... and you can even see at end his lights came on first.. its not about your time... or how close your time is to your dialed in time.. its about who gets pass the line first...and he beat you past the line

Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

thanks for the clarification

Quick Reply: first time with a bike at a dragstrip