Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle can paint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle can paint question

I was considering painting my undertail silver to match my tail fairing with rattle cans, I have read the other posts on here and have a good idea of how to (maybe) have it turn out alright, but was wandering if there is anyway to make it metallic silver to match the fairings better, rather than just silver. Is there a certain metallic silver paint you can buy? a metallic clear coat or something? Just curious, Thanks in advance

Old 07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Default RE: rattle can paint question

this place gets way too much action, i cant keep up

Old 07-23-2008, 06:07 PM

lol. i read this when u first posted it but the questions got me slightly stumped. there are some really cool spray paints out there but its hard to figure out which one you want without checking out the ones that look close and giving them a try

Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 PM

lol i appreciate the response! haha finally, Where could i find some of these spray paints you speak of? I have looked around hardware stores and such and so far can only find some lame plain non metallic silver. I can have it powder coated for free but that takes all the fun out of it for me, id much rather do it myself in the hardest fashion possible with as much work as possible if i could, i have always liked doing things that way, idle hands are the work of the devil.... but if it comes down to it ill have it powder coated to match. my painter says it matches a....... i cant think of the car now, some cars silver paint and he would do it no charge cuz that **** is just laying around the shop all the time, and hes my cousin lol so you know how it is.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a rattle can job on the undertail wont last for shyt no matter how good a job you do.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 PM

i agree with you PG, but i am planning on getting a rear hugger which MIGHT help, and even if it does not, lol i can do it for $5 every couple months and it gives me something to do, i have to find some way to get away from books and classes.

But as a serious inquiry, how much better would a professional job hold up? im also considering doing the rims and heard from certain people that they chip and get dull even with professional painting.... is it even worth it? i mean it is free but i only get so many free favors, should i save it for custom paint job to get a discount or have some fun with what ive got?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hcstreetriding

i agree with you PG, but i am planning on getting a rear hugger which MIGHT help, and even if it does not, lol i can do it for $5 every couple months and it gives me something to do, i have to find some way to get away from books and classes.

But as a serious inquiry, how much better would a professional job hold up? im also considering doing the rims and heard from certain people that they chip and get dull even with professional painting.... is it even worth it?
wheels get powder coated. I painted my undertail with urethane 2 stage n it still getting chips in it. A hugger may help some what but not completely. When on a budget ya gotta do what ya gotta do lol.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM

hmm, so.. what if budget is not a factor? im far from rich, but i have a good hook up on professional car painting which i am told he can also do bikes/anything as well. its my cousin in law who married my female cousin and(even though he is cool as hell and is my good graces) wants to do all my work for free/cost of materials so he doesnt come up missing, and he said the materials are usually layin around the shop, so basically free. is it worth it?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=114
http://www.krylon.com/products/metallic_paints/
Are these the type of metallics you're looking for?
Also check the local walmart auto department in their touch up section. If you can find out what car it is that matches you're bike you can look up the code and buy a can of matched spray

Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 PM

That krylon might work, i just gotta find a shop that carries them. Where do i order the spray when i find out what the code is?

Quick Reply: rattle can paint question