Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting some metal...heat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting some metal...heat?

I am planning on doing some painting tomorrow on my F4, figured its time to get rid of the key scratches on my triple tree and my stator scratches from the last owner.

I have a question about painting the stator...how hot does that get, do I need heat resistant engine paint for it? Thanks... got some pieces off so cant really start her up and test the temp.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by platnumbob
I am planning on doing some painting tomorrow on my F4, figured its time to get rid of the key scratches on my triple tree and my stator scratches from the last owner.

I have a question about painting the stator...how hot does that get, do I need heat resistant engine paint for it? Thanks... got some pieces off so cant really start her up and test the temp.
It's pretty hot to the touch, I'd say 100+ degress (Quite probably within 10 or so degrees of whatever the engine temp is, as indicated on your temp guage). I've actually never touched the clutch cover (Right side) so I'm not sure hot hot it gets, but I'd assume about the same.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 AM

it gets pretty hot. i just did the midpipe on my bike with header paint and it came out real nice so why take the chance of not using high temp? im gonna do my cover soon with the leftover from this can so itll match. they make header clearcoat too so the mid pipe is really close to the black on my plastics.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 AM

cool, I will get some high temp rated paint then. Probably right, not worth the risk of having to re-do it later. Thanks

Old 05-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stator cover gets quite hot, but not REALLY hot. Go for a paint good for 150 deg C or thereabouts. The VHT paints have been a bit of a **** to paint with for me in the past - the finish is often quite brittle too.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:23 AM

Id just get some high temp/ engine paint. If I can paint my engine and heads with it, it will stay on the stator cover. not too expensive either

Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Warm the part up a bit before using VHT paint - helps it to stick better !
FWIW

Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 AM

VHT and Duplicolor have good engine enamels and a good variety of colors. They even have a primer for engines as well as a clear coat.
To help avoid peeling and cracking, be sure to spend the time to make sure the part is clean (I mean VERY clean). Preparation is always the key to a good paint job, painting is only 20% of the entire job.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 AM

Definitely VHT (Very High Temp) available at most auto parts stores.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my header and midpipe in VHT Header piant - let it cure for a week. Once I fired the bike back up, I started getting smoke billowing up from the motor. Turned out it was the paint heating up for the first time, curing I guess. You could watch the smoke slowly move down the header and onto the midpipe as everything heated up. After the first time or 2 it went away.

Thought I had screwed something up at first though. Was def. a pucker moment.

Quick Reply: Painting some metal...heat?