Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to paint my F3

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to paint my F3

I did some searching as to which kind of paint I should use or to just go get a pro to paint it, but the way the economy is now, I'd rather do it myself. If I F**k it up, oh well I'll just start over. So I decided to use Dupli-Color spray cans. Will paint the bike a metallic blue. The finish paint will probably be applied using my dad's spray gun. Will post pics as I go along. Wish me luck

Old 09-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by murdocity
I did some searching as to which kind of paint I should use or to just go get a pro to paint it, but the way the economy is now, I'd rather do it myself. If I F**k it up, oh well I'll just start over. So I decided to use Dupli-Color spray cans. Will paint the bike a metallic blue. The finish paint will probably be applied using my dad's spray gun. Will post pics as I go along. Wish me luck
Next paycheck I hope to do mine. Word of advice: if anyone tells you to use any type of paint stripper, punch them!

At an auto paint supply, the guy recommended Bulldog Flexible Bumpter Paint Stripper. I tried it on my test part (right engine cover). Following the directions exactly and it still ate at the plastic. Next: lacquer thinner

Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 PM

I wet sanded the access doors on the side fairings and then I primed them and they came out smooth. I don't think you need to strip the paint. As I was sanding some of the paint was actually coming off and the primer adhered good to the fairing. I did about three coats of primer.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Someone used a product called Citristrip on their plastics. I've got another access door to try it out on. My problem is the rattle can is so thick in places, it just laughs at the da sander

Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM

I did 3 light coats and tried not to lay it on heavy. But I haven't sanded it yet since my bike got f*ed up.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM

I'm right were you are... at the primer stage. I've got a lot of wet sanding to do today, especially since my left fork is bleeding oil and it got all over the left fairing

Old 09-20-2009, 01:12 PM

I just picked up my f2 with 98 fairings. The guy did a home paint job and even put bondo on the bike. I plan to fix over the winter. But yeah if you spend the time with prep (stripping, sanding, etching primer, wet sand. Then you can paint it yourself, but if you have never done it then it can be tricky. If you know a body shop and prep it all they can probably shoot and clear the thing with a decent color for about 350 bucks.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by OutToWin PAHC
I just picked up my f2 with 98 fairings. The guy did a home paint job and even put bondo on the bike. I plan to fix over the winter. But yeah if you spend the time with prep (stripping, sanding, etching primer, wet sand. Then you can paint it yourself, but if you have never done it then it can be tricky. If you know a body shop and prep it all they can probably shoot and clear the thing with a decent color for about 350 bucks.
Figure its more valuable to get an inexpensive gun, compressor and do it myself. That way if I lay er down in the future, it's not another 350 to a paintshop.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Yeah paint sucks.. I had 1500 into my f4i and 6500 into my car

Old 09-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Someone used a product called Citristrip on their plastics. I've got another access door to try it out on. My problem is the rattle can is so thick in places, it just laughs at the da sander

Ya that was me that used it and that is the **** for taking thick rattle can paint off.

Im goin to try herculiner like willduce did to his bike. Figured if i like it on one fairing ill do the bike. If not i gotta guy who will paint my bike for just material cost.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to paint my F3