Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas on new paint!!! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas on new paint!!! Help!!!!

I just painted my bike myself. Its with a gun and looks damn good. Well I knew gas would eat the paint and clear so i put a towel around the opening as i poured gas in but some got on the towel and soaked threw it. So now i have an ugly a$$ scuff kinda mark!!! How do i get rid of it? I tried cut and polish but that barely helped!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM

Good auto paint should resist gas. What kind did you use?

If the damage isn't all the way through the clear you could try to wetsand it out, touch up the clear and wetsand it all smooth again.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 PM

I used dupli color automotive paint. Its the pre thinned stuff you can get at autozone and stuff. I just went out and applied a small amount of clear coat on it again with just my finger and it seemed to hide it. Ill try to polish it out tommorow. Thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 07:18 AM

Duplicolor isn't so great, you should top coat with some PPG clear or something of similar quality. It'll just laugh at gas after it's cured, and it's UV resistant so the paint won't fade in the sun.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used duplicolor to prime my fairings and I'm thinking of using duplicolor for my final paint, How much did you buy (pint, quart,??) in order to paint all the fairings?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by murdocity
I used duplicolor to prime my fairings and I'm thinking of using duplicolor for my final paint, How much did you buy (pint, quart,??) in order to paint all the fairings?
It took me one pint to put about 4-5 coats on everything but one service door. But i still have enough paint to do that door.

But the pattern width and fluid flow have alot with how much is used. I just played with the gun on a piece of cardboard until i got a good line i could use. Just be careful when filling the tank. The clear they have is good but the slightest bit of gas will F*&K up your 30+ hour project.
Ill put pics of the bike up in a bit.
As far as fixing it i used a small amount of clear on my finger tip(with a glove on) to put over the mess up. I let it dry for about 2 hours and then sanded it with 1500 grit and then did a fine abrasive polish over it. Looks okay but im not about to spray the whole tank again.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Eye
Duplicolor isn't so great, you should top coat with some PPG clear or something of similar quality. It'll just laugh at gas after it's cured, and it's UV resistant so the paint won't fade in the sun.
I agree with his statement, using any spraybomb paint will NEVER hold up to gas or any other type of petroleum based product. Using a good PPG or HOK clearcoat will save you the pain of having to fix that. Plus, if you go on EBAY, you can purchase 8oz bottles of House of Kolors (HOK) paint for very cheap. and with the right mixing you can make a little go a LOOOONG way. I sprayed 2 coats of HOK Snow White Shimrin Pearl and 3 coats of HOK clear on my buddy's 636 recently and I had 4oz of paint left over. Plus you don't need any fancy spray booth or anything. I sprayed in my garage and let it sun cure in the driveway.

I'm just like you man, don't wanna pay the $$ for a shop to do the work. So I learned how to do it myself. I even do all my own powder coating in my garage with an old oven and a infra red propane heater.

Good thing to do is to use the high quality materials, that way you can buff out blemishes when they happen. Mothers Diamond Cut buffing compound works miracles even on deep scratches.

Good luck on the fix

Old 10-07-2009, 11:52 PM

Ya next time ill use a bit higher quality. But for 80 bucks to get the primer, color, and clear you cant beat it. lol Already had the compressor and the gun was 40 bucks.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Hi I wasn't going to join until next month when I finally get my 954. I lurk here a lot as a guest but I have an idea. When I get my bike next month I was thinking of applying 3m clear bra on my bike to protect it from rock chips on the highway, If I drop it so it won't scratch etc. They sell it in cut out sheets of whatever size you want it. Why not apply a sheet of 3m to the gas tank right over the gas cap? take a razor and cut out the gas cap neatly so it's exposed. and done! Paint protected!. You can't even tell the film is there! and it can come off without damaging your finish if you decide to take it off.

Here is a link to some I found on ebay. But of course you would get the size you need and what not. Good luck bro.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-x-6...item439aa51d0c

Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM

I use PPG paint and masterforce clear on all of my stuff. After that I use 3m three stage compound to get it to look like glass and really shiney. Just make sure that what ever you guys choose to use make sure you mix it correctly.

As for the clear bra it would be kinda hard to put it one the tank with wrinkles or bubbles because of the curves unless you just plan on putting it around the opening.
Just put it on like you would do window tinit, a bit of water under the film and a credit card and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Gas on new paint!!! Help!!!!