Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time painting, Rattle Can........any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time painting, Rattle Can........any tips?

So.....i'm planing to paint a tail that i have coming in sometime this week. Its used, and Blue. I'd like to paint it gloss black.

Im choosing to rattle can, mainly because its just one tail, and i don't want to pay alot for a professional job, so why not just spend a few buxs at lows?

But, the thing is, i have no idea where or what to do, i think i have a rough idea......

I know my first thing, is to sand it, rough it up, but from there, i'm loss

So i've got a few questions....

1) After sanding, then on to Primer right? what kind of primer would be good for fairing plastic? and how would i go about appying it? (i've never used primer before)

2) After primer. Then onto the paint, So i know the color code for the black i need, to match my bike, is NH-1.......does that code transfer to other paints? like would i be able to find that color code in a home depot? if not, where?

3) After the main paint, what kind of gloss do i need to use? and how many coats?

4) So i think thats the right order....but is there a link or tutorial that anyone might have, to show how, or how someone did rattle can their paintjob....and it actually turned out good?

5) Last, but not least, am i missing any steps?

Thanks guys, hopefully with the right info, i can get a good paint job done.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: First time painting, Rattle Can........any tips?

I would say DON"T. Can spray paint never holds up. Don't you have any friends with spray gun? I have use can, and been never happy with how it turns out. Go auto paint store get some paint besides looks nice will last for while.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Well if u wanna do it right ur missing some steps.

First: Sand it down with some 220 grit sand paper. You do not have to get all the paint off, just make it smooth and make sure their are no runs flat spots. (try to get a sanding block, useing ur hands to sand makes grooves.)

Second: Use some 800 grit and sand over the part you just sanded. Just to even out the scuff marks.

Third: Get a can of filler primer. This really helps on bad spots in your part. Then spray 2-3 coats depending on the shape of the tail.

Fourth: Sand the primer down swith some 1000 grit sand paper. Filler primer is rough and textured so it will take some time.

Fifth: Get a can of sealer. Preferably the color your painting the bike. This is very smooth substance and lays out flat.

Sixth: Sand the Sealer with 1500 Grit sandpaper.

Seventh: Spray your base coat (color), ide say 3 coats. The first coat needs to be pretty rough. Should make it look speckeled. Then the 2nd and 3rd coat should be heavier.

Eighth: Sand your base coat with 1500 grit and make sure u dont have any runs. Please make sure u dont get to the sealer because it makes for a ****ty look. This is the reason u get the same color sealer. So if u do it doesnt look like u have a white spot in your paint.

Ninth: Spray a Clear Coat. You said gloss but its called clear coat. I sprayed 5 coats on mine but I did a professional job and also have 3 coats of pearl in mine. You pick. 3-6 coats.

Tenth: Sand your clear coat with 1500 grit and then buff with some turtle wax or something.... Make sure u dont sand to the base coat!!!

Let me know if u have any questions.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 AM

By the way, if u take this and get it dont i bet u can get it done for 100-150$.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I guess my last question....

What kind of paint would you recommend? i'm guessin you wouldn't want to use some household paint for a job like this....automotive paint mebe?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 AM

Here's a recent success story: https://cbrforum.com/m_594034/tm.htm

Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 AM

What kinda Primer, Paint, and Clear coat would you guys recommend? and where could i find them?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:14 PM

WET SAND THAT CLEAR COAT!!!! DO NOT i repeat DO NOT sand the clear coat. WETSAND ONLY. then1500 and then 2000 grit for best results. then rubbing compound, then polishing compound and DONOT wax for at least a month

Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont expect much from spray bombs. it will scratch n chip easy, and I have yet to met a rider that doesnt drag their foot across the tail.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM

I should also add that there is no reason to do the eight step if you follow the sanding directions i gave you. that will cause a glossy/cloudy look. yuck

Quick Reply: First time painting, Rattle Can........any tips?