Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to sanding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternatives to sanding.

So at the risk of sounding like an idiot. I don't understand how we are supposed to sand all the small recessed fastener holes and other places like the right angled lips between panels when prepping for new paint. I can sit there and sand the fronts of the fairings all day and make fine progress at that but these other areas leave me perplexed. This being the case I've resorted to trying sandblasting. Tonight was my first attempt with 24 grit walnut shells. About ten pounds of this stuff resulted in about six square inches of sticker adhesive being removed and some dulling in the paint. Unfortunately I won't be able to make a second attempt until Sunday after thanksgiving but I'm thinking about using a plastic media. Its supposed to be more agressive but leave the substrate (plastic itself) unaltered.

Has anyone gone down this path and have any advice?

\Its a purple F2 being painted white.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Soda blasting. I had to strip some paint off my F2. Way safer than sand blasting. Plus you can get a 50lb bag of it for like 10 bucks. I bought my soda blaster at harbor freight for 100bucks. Worked pretty well.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just finished stripping all my plastics did it all with sand paper it takes time but is completly possible. imo doing it with a DA and by hand is way safer than risking f-n up a $400 piece of plastic plus doing it like that will show you where the inperfections are. where the blasting will take it all regardles of any waves or chips in the plastic.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 AM

buy a red 3m scuff pad they sell them at auto zone and meijer.... they work great.. u should of just wet sanded the farrings.... u didnt need to take them all the way down.... alot more work created for the same result

Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by cppr900rr
buy a red 3m scuff pad they sell them at auto zone and meijer.... they work great.. u should of just wet sanded the farrings.... u didnt need to take them all the way down.... alot more work created for the same result
+1 and stir sticks wraped in sandpaper does wonders

Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cppr900rr
depends on the situation. I did have to take mine all the way down because of a chitty previous rattlecan job. And those spots I missed reacted poorly with the new primer and paint. Especially on the gas tank

Fraid in some cases there really isn't a quick fix. Just a lot of determination and patience. If you have a day with a finger attachment, that helps a lot with the nooks and crannies.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Well, since some dumbass decided it would be a wonderful idea to run over a couple of my plastics with a moped..... I don't have to worry about sanding those down. Luckily it was one of the ones that was cracked (hence needing sanded down to plastic) so I'll just replace it and not have to worry about repairing the existing ones that I borked up.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 AM

i had this pondering question as well. i use a grey skuff pad for my stuff and primer seal it. anywho good luck post pics

Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by hatchtegman
i had this pondering question as well. i use a grey skuff pad for my stuff and primer seal it. anywho good luck post pics
the grey one is not for priming over sealer and surfacer should be sprayed over 320 - 500 grit or red scotchy the grey for your base and clear. i had to go down to bare plastic due to when i peeled the stickers off the sides it took the paint off with it and under was not sanded at all. so to be safe and not have my custom paint come off the **** paint under it i would recomend total strip.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coldfire
Well, since some dumbass decided it would be a wonderful idea to run over a couple of my plastics with a moped.....
Okay I have to ask . . . what bizarre circumstances resulted in fairings + moving mopeds being in the same place at the same time? Workshop in the middle of the street, or moped gang home invasion?

Quick Reply: Alternatives to sanding.