CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Yoshi may have to go.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoshi may have to go.....

I read in old posts, from old net threads, that the Yoshimura slip-on (half-system?) actually causes a 2 horse power loss on the 954. Is this true? I have also heard K&N filters cause a loss in power. I have also read that Micron slip-on systems increase top end hp by 5 ponies. I found a great deal on a new Micron slip-on and was wondering what is and isn't true. I know I may be bringing up old questions, but I figure with the more the time passes, the more educated the answers become, and the more accurate truths seem to be found. If I purchase the Micron, will I be able to mount the can where the Yoshimura R&D is mounted without modification? All help appreciated.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 AM

Hmm, I would be very interested in hearing what the 954 gurus on here have to say. I want to add a slip-on to my bike and have it narrowed down to either the Jardine or the Yosh. Opinions, gents?

Old 03-01-2011, 08:09 AM

If the micron is a slip on it will mount in the same place. I have never heard of losing power from the yosh.. If it is less restrictive than the stock can it should be ok. Possibly if you had a can and a filter you could lose power from the mixture being to lean. I've never noticed a definite increase in power from a can Alone and most of the time you won't. You could spend the money that your gonna spend on the micron for a power commander air filter and dyno tune. That way you will have the best possible air/fuel ratio for your parts and gaurantee to pick up a few horsepower. At the same time how much of a difference are those extra 5 hp gonna make? And what are they worth to you?

Last edited by silvr002001; 03-01-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 AM

If the bike is all ready running lean and you add a K&N filter, then it might cause a loss, but if you tune the bike for it, then absolutely not. Same thing can be said for adding a pipe, but I would not worry about a 2hp loss, who cares?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Irockwell27
I figure with the more the time passes, the more educated the answers become, and the more accurate truths seem to be found.
are we talking about the same internet?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
are we talking about the same internet?

Lol!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Yes. After hours of searching forums and random links, I stumbled on two different threads from around 2004 and 2005 that said some guys had dyno runs showing the information I stated above. If I can make up a -2hp and add 5 hp by adding a brand new $225 Micron can, that makes a total 7 hp gain from where I am at now, then I am going to do it. If the K&N is going to cause hp loss, then I am going to go back to the stock filter. I am interested in gaining the most hp without going too deep into tuning the bike. I am not interested is spending another $500 for a Power Commander and a few ponies and/or adding a full exhaust for another $1000-$1500. I just want the most hp I can get with a slip on and a filter, all while keeping the bike reliable.

Last edited by Irockwell27; 03-01-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A slip on, BMC Filter, PC3 and a custom tune will get you the most HP possible without breaking the bank. (Full Exhaust) $700-$800. If you are going to make the investment. Why not shell out for the PC3 and a custom map? The added HP and having the correct fuel/air mixture through "every" throttle position in every gear is priceless. You may be able to squeeze another 3-5 ponies out of this! Could gain 10-15hp when you are done.....For under a grand. I would say that would be a good thing.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:49 PM

You can pick up a power commander for like 150. Maybe less. The pipe and air filter are not causing a loss. When you allow your engine to breath better your not getting enough gas. So if anything, the yoshimura pipe may flow better than the micron but your fuel mixture needs to be adjusted to actually get the benefits of the better equipment. Also like ironhead said, you will not only have more power, but a smoother power band,you could always take your bike to a shop, have them dyno the bike with your yosh pipe and then do a second run with your stock pipe if u have it. Should not cost more than a hundred and you will know for sure how that pipe affects your bike.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by silvr002001
You can pick up a power commander for like 150. Maybe less. The pipe and air filter are not causing a loss. When you allow your engine to breath better your not getting enough gas. So if anything, the yoshimura pipe may flow better than the micron but your fuel mixture needs to be adjusted to actually get the benefits of the better equipment. Also like ironhead said, you will not only have more power, but a smoother power band,you could always take your bike to a shop, have them dyno the bike with your yosh pipe and then do a second run with your stock pipe if u have it. Should not cost more than a hundred and you will know for sure how that pipe affects your bike.
Right. Power commander and dyno tune is where the smart money's at. buying a different pipe because someone made 2 more hp 6 years ago is silly.

Quick Reply: Yoshi may have to go.....