CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

whats some problems with 02 954 with 14k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: whats some problems with 02 954 with 14k miles

I have a 2002 which just rolled into14k. I get the cam chain tick between 2 - 4k RPM. Other than that it's a SWEET bike. No complaints. Been up to 147mph. No damper, nothing aftermarket except for Erion slip-on. Went on 200 mile ride July 4th. Not too bad on the butt and wrists really. I'd advise the trade if that is what you want to do.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:23 AM

i have 19k on mine but no major problems other than fork seals and that is bc i love those wheelies ....i paid 5000 for mine ...

Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 PM

I have an '02 954, and other than one fork seal in each leg, and a very hard to troubleshoot 'Fuel Pressure Regulator', a bunch of worn out tires, and now a used up stock chain, it's been very reliable, and fast,with 13.3k miles so far.

My 18yr old son has an '03 and rides fairlyfast plus is an avid trackday rider with it; zero problems at all for him, and he nowjust turned14k.

Pluses:
Reliable, comfortable for a full on sport bike, enough power and handling to run with currrent big dogs (you need to bring your 'A' game if you wantany hope of ever seeing me in your mirror), anyone who knows sport bikes (Hondas at least) admires them, has some of the best low end torque of any sport bike,lots of aftermarket parts still available, one of the best storage trunks around, still looks modern, so far affordable as used.

Negatives:
[ul][*]Getting harder to find used in "good' or better shape, and/or with low miles...price may be going up due to its excellent reputation,[*]190 rear tires are not cheap, and depending on what brand or compound u cango thru them quick, (FYI I've run a bunch, the Michelin pilot power gave the best feel, grip, confidence and Mileage even when run pretty hard, about 4k. But I've not run them in the web. The Avon was awsome in the wet but by far the hardest to scrub in and did not like any other front tire).[*]Oh yet, front tires, Bridgestone BT014 was fine with other Bridgestone and Metzler rears, but nothing else. Again Michlin is the best I've used.[*]Theycan bea bit wheelie happy, but is "totally" dependent on the rider's right wrist.[*]Until you get used to them, the front brakes are overly strong/sensitive. One finger is all I use on the street, and two on the track.[*]If you ride in warm weather, the frame where your knees/legs rest gets HOT.[*]100 miles is about all you can do in a stint. Numb butt and wrists & hands.[*]If you run it hard, it LIKES fuel. We've run between 20mpg, and 35. 40 if you are verygentle with the right wrist. (A K&N or equivelent makes a noticable difference... will pay for itself in about 2 to 3k mikes.[*]Really needs a slipon pipe.I like Hindle best. Do NOT be fooled into getting anything more unless you are going to the track. (FYI themodels without the O2 sensor have a bitmore low end than those with, but the O2 sensor models will deliver better fuel mileage. It's the collector design between the powervalve and the slipon mount. Also do NOT cut off the cone sticking out of the collector unless you want to reduce 1st gear roll on wheelies and increase top end, again for the track. and do NOT jack with the power valve in the collector, again a track only option.)[*]#1 upgrade - It REALLY needs a steering dampener, for any speed. They are very twitchy at speed, and a handful in fast sweepers 130+ even with a dampener.[*]It will run on any grade fuel, but you should run 89 octaneat least, and it runs noticable cripser on 91, do NOT run racing gas without engine work,and NEVER use aviation gas. (it will do 160 on any gas, anddry summerweather, every try. But with 91o, or good air density it will do 165, to go over 170 you need both good air and 91o. We've topped bothours out at 176 with noting more than good air, 91o and a slipon. You'd think the K&N would aid in topend, but it doesn't seam to. it will get there quicker, but not give more)[*]For all Hondas with stock Honda rotors, do NOT use anything other that genuine Honda brake pads![*]They do NOT have a slipper clutch, and could use one. If (sorry -when) you get wheel hop, pull in the clutch![*]They may have been engineeredto be "like" a600 in weight and hopefully nimbleness, but do not be fooled, this is a litre bike, and it rides like one