CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you do?

I currently have a power commander III installed on my bike but it's the old serial port version. Would it be worth buying a power commander III USB? I assume my serial port version works correctly. It was mapped when I first got the bike. I plan on installing a quick shifter at some point which requires a PCIII USB but not sure when that's going to happen. I also want to get the bike dyno tuned at some point. Go-ahead and upgrade or stick with what I got since it works?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan on getting the quick shifter and it requires a PCIII USB then I say go for it. However, they sell USB -> serial pigtails so if the only reason you want to upgrade is for the USB port then I say don't bother... and remember to copy over whatever map you have on there right now for if/when you get the PCIIIUSB

Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

stick with the serial port one for now. don't spend money on stuff that you don't HAVE to have yet. especially since you already have the PCiii, its just as good. get something that'll make a difference. wait on the dyno tune til you get everything done that you want to do.

the worst thing would be to drop 300 on a dyno tune only to get the itch to do something else to your bike that would void the dyno tune, you know?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 PM

I stick with what you have,unless you have a lot of extra money then you can sell you pcIII and buy what ever else you want.But why a quick shifter? Are you drag racing your bike?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 PM

Yeah I'm not going to dyno tune until I'm done modding. I waiting on my Driven pair valve block off plates to come in now and then I'll add a BMR street air filter. After that will probably be factory pro velocity stacks. Would a sprocket change effect a tune/map? I'm also was thinking about an ignition advancer but I've heard they don't do much.

I want the quick shifter just to want it really. I don't need it but the sound is pure awesome. I love the ignition kill sound in between shifts. I ride with a guy with the BMW 1000 and that got me started on it. I also want to install the factory pro evo shift kit. Stainless steel lines with EBC HH pads are also on the list lol. I don't drag race, just weekend riding through the twisties.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 AM

You really don't benefit anything with a ignition advance.If you want to shift quicker and save some money.Convert your shifter to a GP shift.I can shift much faster with it than with standard shift.Sounds like you gonna spend alot of money for just a little more power.I would invest more money on safety and riding technique before all that.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM

Don't know how I'd spend more money on safety unless I take a motorcycle course. I would like to do it but I believe the closest one is about an hr ride from here. I've been riding for a while and feel confident on a bike, but you can always learn more! As far as gear, I ride in full gear no matter how hot it is outside. Ie: jacket with full armor, over the wrist gloves with knuckle and wrist armor, riding boots that extend to my calf, helmet, and jeans. I've been down before with no jacket or boots and I value my skin lol.

I want more power but don't feel like going into the engine. I think I'll be happy with full bolt-on's....maybe lol. Once again, not that I need more bc the bike is stupid fast already, but it's nice to have all the goodies on the bike. Modding is just one of my hobbies like all of us gear heads. The quickshifter will probably be one of the last things I do if I even do it. Thought about gp shift but I need to ride one first to see how I like it.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

I have been riding for over 27 yrs.and a safety course is not a bad idea.A 1 hr. ride to get some very good riding tips is time well spent.I now hit all the tracks I can around my area and learn from some of the pros.

If you want to try out the reverse shift, just buy a VFR800 shifter and install it.Once you learn the pattern you will not want to go back to standard shift.I have 4 bikes and they all have reverse shift.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

unless you are at the track, i think the HH pads are a waste of money IMO, because they work the opposite of most stuff. they don't work until the pads and rotors are HOT hot. they work okay for normal use on the street, but you don't get the REAL benefit of them until you are at the track. even in the mountains and in the twisties, you still probably won't be pushing hard enough to get heat needed to make the HH pads come alive.

and a sprocket change will not effect the fueling (i.e. you won't need a re-tune.) do the PAIR before you do the dyno-tune, the PAIR mod will make a dyno tune the most accurate it can possibly be.