CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

what the hell is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell is going on?

alright i got a 2003 954. a couple of weeks ago i would start the bike and the headlights would not come on. i just thought it was a loose wire, or connection seeing how it started to work a few days later. but yesterday i went to start the bike and everything is screwed up. i turn the ignition on and the gauge cluter comes on but wont light up, the blinkers stay lit up, when i turn the kill swith on the fuel pump wont prime, and the headlights still wont come on. i traced pretty much all wires in bike and their are no loose or bad connections. anybody have any idea whats going on? anything would help..im stuck

Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 PM

no ideas???? i was just trying to work on it and found that if i push the start button in slowly about halfway in the fuel pump will prime but bike still wont stay running. and all the previous problems stay...

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

i put in a new front harness today thinking it was a bad ground but still no luck. nobody ever had this problem???

Old 08-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry never had that problem with mine,although it sounds like it could be the starter switch.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 AM

i posted an issue about this issue a little while back about my headlights not turning on. When I tried turning my bike on, the lights wouldn't come on. When I turned the high beams on the blue high beam switch on the cluster wouldn't light up. I traced the problem back to the starter switch. The solder broke inside. 80 something dollars later and having to take the tank off to switch out the starter switch.. my bike runs like a champ now! hope this info was useful. unscrew the starter switch and see if the solder came loose.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:06 AM

i will for sure. im out of ideas and i havent checked that yet so ill cross my fingers. thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1.) Check your fuses.

2.) Do you have a power commander on the bike? If so, bypass it.

3.) Sounds like a fried ECU, which really really sucks. Can you list precisely what lights are on when you turn the key?

I was working on a GSXR the other day that had a very similar issue, though we found that its was a fuse, but kept blowing the same fuse. In the end we found that the jackass that installed her streetglow kit had wired it right into the 12v output of the R/R without a switch or fuse or anything, then ANOTHER jackass who repainted her bike trapped the power wire between the tank and the frame and cut it open, thus grounding it out and killing her console. That was a very frustrating day.

I hope your problem is similar to this one, instead of a dead ECU.

Last edited by johnnyx; 08-19-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM

ok with the kill switch in the OFF position, i turn the key to on the neutral light comes on and a red light right next to it comes on about 2-3 seconds later. the display shows everything it just dosent light up, along with the rpm gauge. head lights will not come on. i put the kill swith in the ON positon, still no head lights and the fuel pump wont prime. but if i push the start button the bike turns over with no problem. all fuses are good, and i dont have a power commander. i took apart the kill switch but it looks brand new. if i unplug the the harness going to the headlights the bike will start and run fine, but i wont have any lights or gauges.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:06 PM

i just hooked up a volt meter to the head lights and found they are only getting 0.05 volts. im not eletrical engineer but i dont think thats quiet right...anybody know where the main ground is for the headlights. i know all grounds go to the little yellow junction box, but where do they ground to the frame?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the ground is right in front of the rear shock.

Quick Reply: what the hell is going on?