CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

What are the best tires for the 954?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the Power Pures. Have a set on my 929. Be very cautious when thinking about buying race compound tires. While they may be sticky, they are only sticky once up to operating temperatures. Notice all the race bikes with tire warmers? Many a racer has left the paddock and crashed due to a tire warmer failure.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Tire Warmer Mfg's are Democrats and want to spur the economy or have you "jumped" in to OBama care..........Use a match and save some money!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
+1 I don't like rain either...my focus becomes like riding on sandy pavement.
I ride on sand every day and I prefer it to wet pavement. Not wet sand though, that's worse than wet pavement.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Michelin Pilot Pures for your style of riding. I am not a Democrat and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.....once! The Pures can cover alot of demands for Street Riding. If a main concern is traction and "Not" High Mileage. I would Highly recommend this shoe for your bike. Spirited, twisty rides and the Pure is a great combination. The Track is a Whole different story. Pay very close attention to your pressures with these. Your set-up, weight, suspension all play a roll. Find the pressures that are right for you. regardless of Tire Brand. Try a 190/55 for the rear......If you love to play in the Twisties. You will Love what this profile will do with your ability to turn in.......
suspension set-up and weight play are a HUGE part of tire set-up. i read an article where it was said that the way the suspension is set-up can make the ****tiest tires feel and work better than the best tires, that you need to have the suspension set up for the tires you have, otherwise there's no point to worrying about which tire. so definitely take iron's advice, get everything set up. and besides, he's not a lib

Originally Posted by moosestang
I like the pilot powers for everything except the wet. I've had the rear slide out at very modest lean angles when it's raining. I have power pures on my buell now, but only have 50 miles on them. I can say that the softer compound is very noticeable right way when you lean in a turn, unlike the pilot power 2ct, which didn't feel much different from the regular pilot powers.

If you ride in the rain, I'd consider a tire that excels in that area first and foremost. I only ride in the rain when I get caught in the rain.
really? i feel glued to the road in the wet with my pp's. just goes to show that everyone has a preference. what tires do you think work good in the rain? we're both in fl, so if you know of a good rain tire, let me know!

Originally Posted by luckboxx74
+1 for the Power Pures. Have a set on my 929. Be very cautious when thinking about buying race compound tires. While they may be sticky, they are only sticky once up to operating temperatures. Notice all the race bikes with tire warmers? Many a racer has left the paddock and crashed due to a tire warmer failure.
don't use race compounds on the street. it'll be very hard to ride them and keep them up to temp. i don't know anywhere in the usa where you can ride consistently fast like you can on the track - which are what race tires compounds are there for. not to mention, if you have to ride in order to get to the twisties, you'll be wasting the race tires. they have so much more meat on the outsides than in the middle because they're made for leaning, then gripping and ripping. if you have a half hour ride to get to the good roads... they'll wear out too fast.

just look at some hypersport tires, read the reviews, and figure out which ones sound like they'll work for you the best.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM

******suspension set-up and weight play are a HUGE part of tire set-up. i read an article where it was said that the way the suspension is set-up can make the ****tiest tires feel and work better than the best tires, that you need to have the suspension set up for the tires you have, otherwise there's no point to worrying about which tire. so definitely take iron's advice, get everything set up. and besides, he's not a lib*******

Didn't I basically say that in a earlier post??

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Both Pirelli scorpion syncs and Pirelli Diablo stradas that I've had felt great in the rain. The stradas are a sport touring tire though.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Sept. 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by OhioBob
Anybody tried the Dunlop SportMax Q2 tires?
I have those currently on my track bike. Run an intermediate pace (slow b group). Came from powers but needed a harder compound for the hot socal sun. Haven't had a problem with them yet

Old 08-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Dunlop Sportmax GPA 209's, 190/55 in the rear. I do not ride in the rain and the bike has yet to see water while I've owned it so I can't attest to wet riding. The 209's are super soft and can wear quickly but I only ride about 2000 miles a year so it's not a big deal. I ride on the weekends but tend to ride hard so I would rather have excellent grip over mileage. Get you suspension set up how you want it and choose a tire that will meet your riding needs and desires.