CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Oooh Nooo here we go again

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oooh Nooo here we go again

Well in the last couple weeks I've seen tranny woes,low oil sydrome that resulted in engine failure,to knocking. So my question to you guys is...... what oil do you use and why ??? Also maybe tell us what kind of riding you do. Like do you do stunting??? Or maybe track days??? do you do more riding city or hwy or back roads??????

I bought this bike a year ago with 717 miles on the clock. I changed the oil soon after purchase. I continued to run Honda's Dino oil. The shifting now with 2900 miles on is getting notchy. Haven't made my mind up if I'm going to go to a different blend or brand. I ride a bit of city so she does get hot. I also do some back road aggressive riding. So what about you guys??

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

honda dealer oil forgot the name but i do all the riding u just listed and the oil is not synthetic

Old 08-05-2011, 08:12 PM

I put Rotella t6 5w40 in at 3700 miles, now over 5,000. Didn't really noticed any difference in shifting. Clunks going into 2nd and downshifting has a notchy feel. All other up shifts are smooth as butter.

I ride back roads here in Florida and mountain roads once or twice a year. It's hard to find roads around here without traffic on them. There are too many people in Florida, I'm looking to move north. I ride to work sometimes, but I wouldn't call it city riding.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM

Wow 63 views and only a couple responses.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadS1
Wow 63 views and only a couple responses.
Because it's another "Oil thread".

It's pretty much gonna be personal preference and budget. I honestly haven't read a thread here that states conclusively "<insert oil brand> Benji Banged my bike!" or "<insert oil brand> adjusted my valve clearances and gave my a Happy Ending!"

I use Mobil 1 4t Racing and I just ride. Some guys use Rotella in their bike and have more miles on their bikes than you prolly have on your car.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Because it's another "Oil thread".

It's pretty much gonna be personal preference and budget. I honestly haven't read a thread here that states conclusively "<insert oil brand> Benji Banged my bike!" or "<insert oil brand> adjusted my valve clearances and gave my a Happy Ending!"

I use Mobil 1 4t Racing and I just ride. Some guys use Rotella in their bike and have more miles on their bikes than you prolly have on your car.

Thank you my friend! Tires/oil come up too frequent, it should be a sticky. One for oil, and one for tires...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Motul 7100 full synthetic, changed every 2000 miles. Never had a problem.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
Thank you my friend! Tires/oil come up too frequent, it should be a sticky. One for oil, and one for tires...
Fine and dandy. Thing is its not prefrence. I'm looking for more facts. These bikes run very hot for an inline. I'm looking for an oil that someone may be using that isn't breaking down in this particular bike. Now.... Mobil for instance. Its crap.... I ran it in my 2009 WRX SPT for 2000 miles and sent the oil out. It was broke down and basically garbage. Thing is Turbo boxer engines are tough on oil. I run Rotella in the car. Just not to sure to run it in my bike though.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadS1
Fine and dandy. Thing is its not prefrence. I'm looking for more facts. These bikes run very hot for an inline. I'm looking for an oil that someone may be using that isn't breaking down in this particular bike. Now.... Mobil for instance. Its crap.... I ran it in my 2009 WRX SPT for 2000 miles and sent the oil out. It was broke down and basically garbage. Thing is Turbo boxer engines are tough on oil. I run Rotella in the car. Just not to sure to run it in my bike though.
Dude, it is a preference here. We're not racers / tuners for the most part. We're hobbyists for whom riding is more important than squeezing every last 1/2 hp and 300 miles more from our bikes.

Do you think Jared sent his oil out for testing till he found the right one? I doubt it. But his bike crossed 200k miles earlier this year. How bout the guys in the Hurricane section, whose bikes are older than some of the people here on the forum?

Only 2 things matter for the level of riding most the guys do here:
  • Make sure it's the right type oil (viscosity / not energy conserving)
  • Change it regularly
Everything else is a matter of opinion. And you will not exceed the performance capabilitiies of neither your oil...

Nor your bike

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Dude as you call me. I'm not looking for getting every last HP. And I really don't care what the Hurricane guys bikes and how old they are. Different bikes. And yes you can exceed the performance of a oil. Do a track day and your oil needs to be drained. I've done plenty and can I exceed my bikes limits??? No but I can push it above average. I've ran 3 oils through this bike. Honda's brand,Castrol, and Bell. Bell upon draining seemed alot less burned in color and less thinned out. I didn't come here with a question to have an Argument. If you feel you need to do so move on.

Quick Reply: Oooh Nooo here we go again