CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

very weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very weird problem

alright i have an 03 954. completely stock from top to bottom. i got it about 3 months ago. runs great except for when i go to get gas. after im done pumping gas i try to start it and it wont start. it turns over fine just wont fire. i have to push start it then it will run like normal. i thought it had something to do with not starting when its hot but if i push start it then shut it off, it will crank right back up. like nothing ever happend. this ever happen to anybody else? or anybody got any ideas on what the hell is going on? any info would be great. thanks

Old 02-09-2009, 12:54 AM

my bike does the same thing.. sometimes it will just turn over and Nothing.. but if i push start it . boom starts instantly..
it is rare when it happens though....but it sucks to always have that on my mind if im someplace far away.
Yah i cant figure it out either...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:42 PM

ya i know it sucks, it discourages me from wanting to ride. it would be alright if it was once in a while. but its every time i put gas in it. even if its from a gas can. so i have no clue whats going on...lol

Old 02-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Could it have something to do with fuel pressure?

Do you hear a sound of pressure being relieved when you open the fuel tank fill opening?

I wonder if turning the ignition key on and off a few times will energize the fuel pump and build the needed fuel pressure.

I know that on my car, a Corvette, turning the key to "ON" without cranking the engine will energize the fuel pump for several seconds and will build pressure.

Hopefully someone will post the fix for this since my son just bought a 2002 954RR, but hasn't had to refill the tank yet.

I'm very interested in the cause so be sure to keep us posted on what you come up with.

Jake

Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM

well i can hear my fuel pump doing its thing. but it is almost like it isnt getting any spark or something... but the wierd thing is .. why will it start instantly by push starting it. I mean not even pushing it very fast at all.
the battery is good cause i can crank it over for a very very long time.
like you said.. it is about every 100 starts then ... WTF..ugh

Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM

i know what your saying about cycling the igniton, but that dosent do it either. at first i thought it was a problem with starting hot. so about every 5 minutes i would turn the key on and try. each time i would do it again until the motor was about 100 degrees. so thats not it.
repsolroger is exactly right it acts like its either not getting fuel or spark. but as soon as you push it and let the cluth out, boom starts like nothing ever happend it will run fine until next time you put gas in it. i even called the dealer to see if they had any recalls or anything like that and they said they have no clue whats going on..im stumped

Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM

What if you just open and close the gas filler cap without adding any gas. Does the same thing happen?

Tomorrow I'm going to try the open/close thing and see what happens. I'll then try starting it with the kick stand up and then with it down and the clutch lever pulled in.

If it continues to start, I'll try adding gas and see if my son's refuses to start afterwards.

Yea, this is really strange. I'll post the results.

Jake

Last edited by JAKEJR; 02-09-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM

this just might sound a bit crazy but on my 1100 i hade the same problem and i found out if i was to fill it up all the way i would have that problem, but if i left little bit space like 2fingers from the top i would never have any problems....u should try it.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM

but that is wierd about the gas cap thing.. then why would it instantly start. by push starting it.. and doing nothing else.
gah i hate electrical computer BS problems. so hard for me to troubleshoot.. its easy for me to hear and fix a mechanical broken thing.. but some wire or ecu brain telling something when and not to work.. ugh.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM

When you're holding the start button and it's cranking over let go and press it again quickly every once in awhile. I worked on a raptor once that had an electrical issue where it cut the spark when you held the start button but would spark when you let off.

Last edited by problychill; 02-10-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: very weird problem