CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tires

My 954 has Pilot Powers on it currently ( going to replace the wore 180 soon with a 190), but I might try the Dunlop D616's next time. Just like to be different. Can't go wrongwith the usual suspects though....Qualifiers, Pilot Power 2CT's, Diablo's, M3's, etc.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 AM

I can't tell ya how many times I've come across this topic and wanted to share what I know about tires. So this might be long winded. I believe there are three elements to tires everyone should consider, and price not being one of them, and you'll see why. So basically, you look at application, grip, and longevity.

Tire application should first be judged by how you will be riding. Commuter, weekend warrior, or hardcore all the time. If you want longevity in a tire then you look for something that has harder surface which allows the tire to last longer. If you want traction and cornering, then you want grip.

Here's my opinion(s) of the following brands of tires that I have used on 3 different honda models (cbr1kf, 929, and current 954).

Bridgestone BT-014. Good to great grip in both dry and wet conditions, but wear fast if your agressive. The front tire has a greater tendancy to "cup" because our bike is front light. The rear tire on heavier models will wear even faster than the front tire. This tire is not recommended for a heavy front end bike as the harder you ride it, the greater the tire will push, and will increase as such as road surface increases.

Pilot Power/2CT- GREAT tires. My favorite pic and you'll see why later. The PP and the 2CT have different compounded edges from the crown to the edge. The more onto the edge of the tire, the softer the compound, and more grip.

Pirelli Diablo Corsa III- My second favorite pic. These babies just speak grip. Quick warm up times, still handle very well as road temps go up into the high 90's. These have the tri-layer compound from crown to edge and therefore allows grip equal to or greater than the PP's.

Continental Sport Attack- Black chille compound for excellent grip in the wet and dry. I am running these now. I feel completely comfortable dragging a knee on the street (in safe and familar locations) with these tires. I have had to adjust the tire pressure in the front and rear to find the best level so I can feel when the tires want to move around (front push, and rear getting loose).

Price? The beginner, average rider will not notice too much of a difference between all of these tires, so they would consider, price and longevity of how long they will last. Most importantly is the fact that you are buying the tire for the right application. You don't need race tires for the street because tires have heat cycle standards.

Size? Front tire size shouldn't be manipulated. Some go up or down -1 or +1 from the stock dimension of the tire...example 180 up to 190, 190 down to 180. Going up in size requires a little more effort in turn-in when the bike comes off crown while cornering. Going down (190 to 180) reduces effort for turn-in and allows quicker cornering.

Size also plays a factor in pricing. 180s are less expensive than wider tires. The question becomes, do you need that extra 10mm or did you get the tire used, etc...

Last but not least is price. This should be self evident and explanatory.

I'm not an expert nor did I stay at a holiday inn express. I have run all of the major brands (some I didn't metion for a reason), and have put down a crap load of miles in all riding conditions. I probably didn't mention some of the things others already have.

Sorry for the winded post and I could go on even further, but should be enough to only compliment what others have noted thus far.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 AM

actually,I wasnt reading that thinking "wow this guy is long winded" i was reading it thinking, "wow, i wish this guy went on with everything he knows, in a seperate post, then someone could make this a sticky"

its alot of good info, and definitly a good knowledge base to work with. i recommend making another post on the subject, and completing your thoughts there.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Corsa III........It's A Way Of Life. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 05-05-2008, 03:33 AM

have to say that the metzelers m1's are awsome tires as well...i dont think i have tried the m3's but you cant really go wrong with metzeler man....i am about to change out my tires and have a set of dq's to go on....like someone else said...try ebay for prices...only bad thing is....alot of places will charge you more to place them on..i know its about 45-60 a tire to mount and balance around me but there is a place thjat does it for 20 a tire if you take them off urself..also...go to the local tracks and talk to some of the guys...they place about 2-6 laps on there tires or take them off after a few heat cycles and will sell for cheap..i buy race take off's for about 60 bucks and they have about 90 percent tread left on them ..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:08 AM

Bike tires either street or track have been designed with the concept of heat cycles in mind as well. Also, one of the most important aspects of purchasing tires are to be sure that although they are "new" are they really new? That being said, when was the date of manufacturing. If tires have sat for a very long time, then this affect their longevity as well.

Do some more searching on some of the keywords found in this thread. I'm sure there's more info on the forum available.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered Users

I'm about to replace the 180 Pilot Power (slow leak) with a 190 standard Power or 2CT. The front is a standard Power with plenty of tread. Your thoughts....standard or 2CT.... or no big deal?

Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM

why did you have a 180 on there bro? i mean i know you can...but the 954 is considered a liter and come with the 190 on it.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:38 AM

I've had really good results with the Pilot Powers. I plan on trying the 2ct's next.

I do however have a tire you should 100 percent stay away from. that is the dunlop 218. this tire is about the most worthless tire when it comes to grip. I have never slid so much on a tire as I did on these. I put about 1000 miles on em and junked em. I gave em to a friend for his stunt bike.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered Users

The '54 had a 180 (and a complimentarynail [sm=smiley7.gif]) on it when I bought it a couple of weeks ago, GixB.

Had a 190 Power 2CT put on it yesterday and put aeasy 200 miles on it. First significant ride and all I can say is WHOA!!!!!!!!

Power, handling, lightweight (VFR was easily 130 heavier and down 30 ponies) and not uncomfortable. Everything they say about the '54 is true. I'm one happy camper [sm=smiley20.gif]!!!!!

Quick Reply: Tires