CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Tire Brand

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Brand

I know this is a touchy subject from the posts i have read, but none of them really answered MY question...

I have a 02 954rr with Pirelli Diablo Corsa tires on front and rear. They are starting to get thin and im thinking about getting new tires soon.

I do not do any track riding or crazy things. all street, with very little aggressive turing. Still new to riding...

what tire brand should I get? Stick with the corsa's, or is that unnecessary with my riding style?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Corsa is a great tire, but expensive! I will recommend Michelin's Power 2CT or the Pure. Both are dual compound and are great shoes to put on. Plus they wont break the bank. You should be able to get some great deals on the 2CT right now. I hated the Michelin Pilot Road series....Bottom line. They are a 10 on the Suck-o-meter! I run the Pures and find them better than the corsa's. (Cheaper too) I will also say that it is very hard to get a high mileage tire that offers great performance. You have to choose one or the other.....What I will advise is going to a 55 profile rather than the stock 50 for the rear tire. Your bike will be a whole new machine! The turn in is Incredible. I am sure other will chime in on their tire of choice.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM

I'm with Ironhead on the Michillins other then I had zero bad to say about even the Pilot Roads. I however am looking in the direction of some Dunlop Qualifiers. I guess opinions will very. Tires are almost like oil.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM

I have Bridgestones on mine. I went with the Supersport BT016 on the front and for extra wear(I do 250 miles a week in my commute), I got a Sport Touring BT023 for the rear. I currently have about 4200 miles on them, the front is damn near new, rear is just starting to get flat in the middle. I'd guess I'm at 70% left. I am planning on doing a track day with these. As soon as they are wore out I want to try the Michelin Pilot Road 2's.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:23 PM

I just bought and installed a set of Michelin Pilot road 2's. I got these over the pilot powers because I also do not race, mainly commuting, and from what I have read these will last much longer. I am sure they are both great tires though. I recommend reading reviews on Michelin Pilot Road 2's. thats what I did and every review said they were the best tires for the road. so far Im happy, cant say much cause ive only gone 150 miles on them. good luck! ... also on Michelin's website they have a nifty chart that explains the differences between their tires, so check that it helped me out.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Commute & tread wear: Bridgestone

Semi-sport dual compound: look for Michelin and Dunlop

Bang for your bucks is Shinko 009....

Tires are like motor oil...always get fresh ones when in need.

I love those new tires!!! I'm running Q2 and love it....my next set would be Shinko or Michelin...bridgstone is cool too...I always pull the trigger on the first set that present a good deal to me...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

+1 to everybody. tires work differently for each bike and rider.

from what your riding style, ability, and chosen roads sound like, the tire brand wont make much difference. any tire with good tread will work just fine. as your riding demands change, you will then want to consider treads and compounds. for now, i would just go with something that will last in an around town environment.

it wont be the last set you will ever buy....

Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well said, I like to narrow it down to like 2-3 brand. Know what you want, know what market price they are going for.

Then shop around and pull the trigger.... Always plan your buy early....don't wait until last moment, you'll end up paying full retail.

Originally Posted by 74demon
+1 to everybody. tires work differently for each bike and rider.

from what your riding style, ability, and chosen roads sound like, the tire brand wont make much difference. any tire with good tread will work just fine. as your riding demands change, you will then want to consider treads and compounds. for now, i would just go with something that will last in an around town environment.

it wont be the last set you will ever buy....

Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM

I'm running Dunlop Q2's and love them. Sticky when you need them and still get pretty good mileage. I have a friend that rides his bike no matter what....rain, snow, ice, sunny, etc. and he will only run Pirelli Angels. He gets excellent mileage and hasn't had any complaints about them. I however feel I ride too aggressive and choose to get something that's pretty sticky. Mileage to me isn't a concern since I'm a weekend rider.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM

I have the Supersport BT016 on mine, but this is what the previous owner put on, and so far I like them pretty well. I think the price for them is pretty decent too.

Quick Reply: Tire Brand