CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Techlusion TFI on cbr 954

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techlusion TFI on cbr 954

Has anyone ever installed one of these on 954 (or 929)? I'm thinking of buying a bike with one installed but am concerned about its effect on the bike. i read on their website that:
"...most aftermarket exhaust systems tend to reduce back pressure, which leans out the fuel even more. There are a few exceptions to this, and one that comes to mind is the Honda CBR929/959 when the exhaust power valve is removed. Honda designed their engine specs around that feature (specifically the exhaust cam timing) and when you remove that valve, volumetric efficiency in the motor is lost causing a bottom end bog. You can mask that bog by pulling out fuel around that area, and for that, you may have to go to another product."

Seems most owners have the PCIII installed & probably for this very reason. So i'm curious to know if any 954/929 has any familiarity with this on their bike or someone elses.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Techlusion TFI on cbr 954

i've talked with people that have removed that valve and said that it heped others said it hurt the bottom end torque like you described above. i say just leave it alone or if you have to use that as a negotiating point to lower the price since you'll have to put that back on... unless the bike has a pc3 and has been dyno tuned (not just a downloaded map!) so that it runs efficently

Old 10-09-2007, 03:15 PM

thanks havoc.. another question tho: are there slipons available for this bike which don't require you to remove the exhaust power valve?

Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

most dont require that you remove it .. and unless its a full system id be worried about a slip on that did require you to remove it .. honda designed these bikes really well and certain things shouldnt be messed with

Old 10-09-2007, 09:45 PM

yea all slipons will only effect the noise the bike makes...it may give couple of hourse power gain but you wont feel it....if you get a full exhaust you need a pcIII or power command or your bike will bog out....i have never had anyone tell me that they put a full exhaust and it improved performance without the pcIII/power command....

Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 PM

remember when you put a slipon on you are only changing the can....you shouldnt have to touch anything past that...

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 AM

ORIGINAL: joey954rr

.if you get a full exhaust you need a pcIII or power command or your bike will bog out....i have never had anyone tell me that they put a full exhaust and it improved performance without the pcIII/power command....
thanks havoc & joey, but i guess my concern is modifying the exhaust (or any other component for that matter) using the the TFI instead of the pc3.... joey have you ever used this unit?

Old 10-11-2007, 05:37 PM

I am assuming that the PCIII is the much more popular unit. I have never heard of the Techlusion TFI.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM

demonchild, i agree the PCiii is seemingly waaaay more popular on these bikes than the techlusion is.. i think the reason why is simply how our bikes are designed as explained in the quote i gave in the original message straight from TFI's website.

but i have rode the bike at various engine speeds & have not noticed any problems with response nor engine/exhaust firing improperly.... so it leads me to believe with the right combo of air intake modding this unit can work successfully with the 954...

anyone else have any takes on it?

Last edited by kahlilj; 10-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM

I personally like the TFi. But you do need to make sure it is dyno tuned. I have one on my '05 ZX6R/ 636. Granted it is a different animal than the Honda. I love it though. I got a buddy that just put one on his 929 and he loves it with no issues. I just bought a 2002 954 yesterday and planned on installing one on it as well.