CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Tech question on 03 954 (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 AM
LC1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech question on 03 954 (long read)

anyone in here ever come across or heard of a pal whos 954 would smell like burning rubber and make a wierd clacking noise (kinda like loading a round through a semi auto pistol or engaging a heavy metal door lock... thats the best i could come up with lol). i hear it when i rev the bike AND once or twice it will sound off during warm up at idle.???? This is weird but i am trying to figure out where to look first before taking it in to the dealer. oh, the idle dips or surges a little immediately following the noise. some friends and i have come up with a few possible causes that include; cam chain and/or tensioner, starter auto clutch, htev valve and worst but probably not likely due to the somewhat quiet nature of the sound...stuck valve/bad valve spring. any ideas and questions would be great. new to the forum by the way so sorry if this is long ps the sound is only consitent with "blipping the throttle or during idle from a cold start. the smell is odd????no visible smoke anywhere. however it was suggested that i look down the crankase breather hose that routes gasses back into the air box to see if white smoke is present. ugghh...thats it

Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tech question on 03 954 (long read)

LC. That is a tough one. I would highly recommend you take itto a tech to be looked over. I know the cost is more......but this is what they do. 2 tires and 130+ HP isnt anything to have puke on the rider while leaned over.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Ironhead

LC. That is a tough one. I would highly recommend you take itto a tech to be looked over. I know the cost is more......but this is what they do. 2 tires and 130+ HP isnt anything to have puke on the rider while leaned over.
[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM

to sart with-check the adjustment of the cables at the egcv-if they are too loose
the bike will do some very unpleasant and weird sh*t!!-if the egcv is not
open at the correct time,when snapping the throttle,the cylinders can not
properly relieve pressure-usaully this will cause hesitation-esp when running cold
i would also rec warming up to,atleast,150f before snapping the throttle
good luck
o8

Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM
LC1

Thank you! I will check the egcv tonight, i get off work early on fridays. if thats not it, then ironhead and eyesky are right! i am not experienced enough to mess with my own personal safety!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: LC1

Thank you! I will check the egcv tonight, i get off work early on fridays. if thats not it, then ironhead and eyesky are right! i am not experienced enough to mess with my own personal safety!
i will warn you,that little bastard is a pain in the *** to get to!!-if the bike is covered(fairings
mounted!!)-pm me if you need help!
o8

Old 08-15-2007, 02:22 AM
LC1

Thanks outsider. I have a manual and was able to re-adjust the entire hgcv egcv system. here is what i found: the valve was actually out of adjustment at the 8krpm position. so that was easily corrected. I think i may need to take it apartr however, because it does not return to the 3k pos. completely. seems there may be some build up in there that is causing the valve to bind/stick. no biggie, works well enough for having 25k+ on it! however..the flapper in the air box was WAY OFF. I mean it was not even opening or attempting to open at any position. Simple fix though...the cable had too much slack in it and needed to be adjusted, i must say high rpm performance has noticeably increased. I was begining to think that the 954 was just slow! (i recently wrecked my 1kRR, and after owning/riding that bike for over a year, i thought the 954 felt like it should) well it feels alive again!
Still, at idle and low rpm driving the bike is rough and sluggish, and that noise is still a mystery. QUESTION: my buddy the other night noticed that my headlights would get really bright when i accelerated or reved the bike, not even getting on it, just revving it to 4-5k. and at idle they dim down considerably. Could my stator be going out? And from what i have learned the stator operates on a clutch. Could that clutch be making the noise i am hearing? And if a stator is going, how would that affect overall performance?
PS for those wondering how to check the valve operation and position highly reccomend getting the manual, much better than revving your bike in the garage and upsetting the neighbors!