CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

strange sound. 02 954 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well, i can't see the facebook pic (i don't have a facebook), but if they have it itemized on there, then i guess i'd trust them. and that would make sense if labor is not included. the outer basket costs about $300, the inner $100, then all of your plates, springs, etc. then an oil change (because they have to drain it).... it just doesn't leave all that much room for labor.

well, if they really did replace the basket, my guess would be those bearings...

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i would call them and refuse to ride it back to them because it could damage anything more. They could then bring a trailer to pick it up. it shouldnt have left there that way. also id double check what they replaced. often times, it is about time to change the basket when the plates go because heat has warped the basket which means the new plates springs etc wont sit correctly and thus making sound when it is idling.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrsmobbins101
personally i would call them and refuse to ride it back to them because it could damage anything more. They could then bring a trailer to pick it up. it shouldnt have left there that way. also id double check what they replaced. often times, it is about time to change the basket when the plates go because heat has warped the basket which means the new plates springs etc wont sit correctly and thus making sound when it is idling.
so, is the basket outer and inner on the bill? i can't see the photo.

i still can't believe they let the thing leave there making those sounds. if i had a shop, that thing would not have left. i would have talked about this with you before you even left after dropping it off.

first, it's an opportunity for them to make more money (by fixing the damn thing) - unless you specifically told them not to fix the misfire.

second, the sound doesn't appear to have changed at all... which means they didn't fix it. i couldn't have, in good conscience, handed you a bill.

riding with a misfire alone is not a good idea. it causes a lot of wear on the rest of the motor, unwanted drag on the misfiring cylinder, and really ****ty power transfer through the clutch and the tranny

hell, it could have caused that with the clutch issue to begin with.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Ok, so i disassembled the seat gas tank and airbox. Guess what I found....
Not only does my fuel pressure regulator drip, it squirts a steady stream or fuel. Usually when one goes out it drips when you pressurize the fuelrail. That would explain the noise it , would also explain the bad gas milage, the richness of the A/F ratio, the gas smell, the bad idle, the bogging down, the misfire, and the fouled spark plugs i just found. I ordered 4 stock spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, and some carbon breaking down cleaner for my gas.. Also, my clutch and all is fine no sounds/grinds or any other nasty noises. If this doesnt fix it i will go ballistic i think this brings my bill to about 750$ on cluding clutch plugs regulator and all. I am absolutely sick of $hit breaking.

Posted a video also

Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Although that may be a problem pulling in the clutch lever and not hearing the noise is wierd.... I think when you get the bike back together you are still going to have clutch sounds.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Would a ping or knock sound like that. Maybe a spark knock?
I have to wait till Wednesday for that Fuel Pressure Regulator .

Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 PM

a fouled FPR shouldn't cause that clutch noise at all. a fuel component is not related to the clutch - but it is definitely causing the rough idle, ****ty mpg, and it *could* be the reason for the misfire.

and that FPR is definitely toast.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 AM

All the plugs are toast. I've heard that the cam tensioner Makes the same sound. Would that go away when I pull in the clutch. And its gonna be a mystery if that noise does disappear Lol.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM

So taking apart my bike for the 1st time I discovered a lot of things, bad fuel regulator, fouled spark plugs, power commander wasn't plugged into the main fuel injector harness, dirty air filter, there was so much fuel leaking into the cylinders that there was fuel in top on the valve when I looked down the velocity stack.all in all I'd say I learned a ton about my bike .

Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by MattBorg
power commander wasn't plugged into the main fuel injector harness
you have got to be ****ting me... that's bad man, previous owners suck sometimes.

there was so much fuel leaking into the cylinders that there was fuel in top on the valve when I looked down the velocity stack.

what do you mean? like residue? or puddled? and do you mean on the butterfly valve? you shouldn't be able to see the actual valve from the airbox. or did you pry open the butterfly valve on the TB, and look all the way down in there? do you have a picture of it? bad FPRs can definitely cause the injectors to act up because of the pressure never being constant. have you checked your oil? does it smell like gasoline? i'm not saying it will, but if you have tons of gas leaking into the cylinders, it definitely *could* be leaking past the rings when the motor is off.... which would kill the viscosity of the oil, creating more problems

all in all I'd say I learned a ton about my bike .

that's the only way man. you wrench, you learn. hopefully the fuel pressure reg fixes your motor issues. i'd love for it to be something simple for you. new plugs and a new FPR would be great if that fixes it. but i'm not sure it'll fix the clutch issue.

Last edited by Conrice; 07-12-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: strange sound. 02 954 swap