CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

storing bike for a long time prep....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storing bike for a long time prep....

hey there everyone, bout to plan a trip overseas and may be gone as long as two years... i've got an 02 954 which i love and don't really want to sell if i can help it... i live in australia so dont have to worrie about extreme colds and the bike will be stored away in a nice protected shed... what steps can i take to store the bike for this long with out it being touched? is it possible with out it stuffing up? also i may be able to have someone come over and start the bike, im not sure yet so any help both ways would be great.. or is it better investment to just sell up and start fresh when i get back? thanks in advance...

Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Drain the fuel, thats about it. You can always change the plugs, coolant, and oil when you get back. If you cant drain the fuel ride it till its almost empty or add some stabil to it. Mine sat for 5 months with the same fuel and fired right up and ran better than before!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
Drain the fuel, thats about it. You can always change the plugs, coolant, and oil when you get back. If you cant drain the fuel ride it till its almost empty or add some stabil to it. Mine sat for 5 months with the same fuel and fired right up and ran better than before!
thanks for the reply.... if i was to drain all the fuel wouldn't the tank maybe build up rust over such a long period? i read on another post that the tank should be kept full to avoid rust... to many mixed posts out there, lol.. other posts ive read say that bikes left for close to two years can even build up rust in the pistons?? i dunno just wanna get it right so i dont come back to a dead bike... anyone out there got experience with year plus storage?

cheers...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM

I would sell it before I left and buy new when I returned. But if you are real attached to this bike, my recommendation would be to change the oil before you go. Leave the fuel tank full and add a stabiliser which contains isopropyl alcohol (this will absorb any condensation). While you are away, have someone start the bike and leave it to idle for 5-10 minutes to get it up to operating temp. This will clear out any moisture and make sure there is oil in the upper end. If they do this every 4 months or so the bike will be just as you left it.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:37 AM

How long is your trip?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:13 PM

thanks for the info mate that really helps... yeah im kinda attached to the bike and it is super tight and clean for what i paid for it.. dont know if when i came back i'd be lucky enough to find one in the same nick... could think about it tho..

and to txsmainevent im planning on going for between a year and 2 years...

Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
I would sell it before I left and buy new when I returned. But if you are real attached to this bike, my recommendation would be to change the oil before you go. Leave the fuel tank full and add a stabiliser which contains isopropyl alcohol (this will absorb any condensation). While you are away, have someone start the bike and leave it to idle for 5-10 minutes to get it up to operating temp. This will clear out any moisture and make sure there is oil in the upper end. If they do this every 4 months or so the bike will be just as you left it.
you hit that nail rite on the head!!! thats exsactly what to do.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also recommend you take some towels or something and block off your exhausts. I've heard of stories where animals or stuff gets in there while the bike's just been sitting.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 AM

thanks for the info guys... the towel in the pipe is a really good idea, especially with the big spiders here lol... the reason is i dont wanna sell it is because i know it will just be a hassle finding a bike i like as much for the price when i get back, not to mention i dont trust myself not spending the cash over seas.

its an 02 model so im sure it wont lose to much value as the bulk of the decrease value has already happened.. what do u recon?

Quick Reply: storing bike for a long time prep....