CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

startor problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default startor problem

[hr]

hi guys i own 02 cbr 954rr motor blew up last month so i found a used motor with forged pistons and back cut tranny.
so i took blown motor out and install the newer motor in everything is fine but the startor dosent work it cranked for 3 sec and then nothin my buddy who was helping me out told me that since the new motor has forged pistons(higher compression) i might need aftermarket startor. is that true if yes where can i find one if not what could it be i took it out and jumped it it spins.......
all inputs will be appreciated im this close to part it out cuz i got so much money into it but would prefer if i can get it run. thanks guys[/align]

vbrep_register("641506")

Old 11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Default RE: startor problem

I'd try to push start it. If your battery is good, it should still continue to crank over (even though it may be pretty sluggish).

My 2 cents...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM

ya thats what were gonna do 2day, battery is good and we tried to jump start from a car still no crank, there is a solid noise like a tap noise by the battery when u trying to start.
is there a certain procedure how you push start it or it really dosent matter which gear the bike is in?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st or 2nd.. but what kinda soild tap noise.. cause the noise i am thinking of is the sound of adead battery

Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 AM

its like a tap noise coming from behind the battery.
but if the battery was dead wouldnt the motor crank when you jump it .

Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: peoples_champ

its like a tap noise coming from behind the battery.
but if the battery was dead wouldnt the motor crank when you jump it .
not always. depends on how dead the battery is.

How long have you been riding? If I were you ( and I say this with as much respect as possible) find someone that knows what they are doing to help you. It is obvious that (although you guys may be good mechanics) neither of you have a clue what you are doing on a motorcycle.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:30 PM

i totally agree with you i have only been riding for a year but dont know jack whats going on. ill see if i can have some one with more knowledge look at it. thanks

Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM

I highly doubt you need a different starter. Take the starter off the bike and test it that away (battery to starter). If in fact your starter is bad pull the one off your old motor and do a swap. Your starter is not trying to turn a flywheel from a car, so forged pistons shouldnt do a big number on your stock starter. The tapping sound might be your starter relay, but a constant tapping would indicate a dead battery. Try push starting like explained above, if that doesnt start the bike it might not be just your starter. I push start mine in second and slam down on the seat so the tire wont slide instead it makes it spin. Try these things first, like to refer to these steps as troubleshooting and im not trying to be a smart ***, just trying to help.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: pimpncbr954s

I highly doubt you need a different starter. Take the starter off the bike and test it that away (battery to starter). If in fact your starter is bad pull the one off your old motor and do a swap. Your starter is not trying to turn a flywheel from a car, so forged pistons shouldnt do a big number on your stock starter. The tapping sound might be your starter relay, but a constant tapping would indicate a dead battery. Try push starting like explained above, if that doesnt start the bike it might not be just your starter. I push start mine in second and slam down on the seat so the tire wont slide instead it makes it spin. Try these things first, like to refer to these steps as troubleshooting and im not trying to be a smart ***, just trying to help.
i cant use the old one cuz it got damaged when the motor blew up, so i tried push start but the bike skids everytime even with me sitting on the bike.
i guess ill take it to the dealer to diagnose.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** the dealer

Quick Reply: startor problem