CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Starting problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting problems...

Bike is an 02 954 with 11,500 miles. I'm running into a problem and it is annoying me. The bike starts right up when cold. It does not overheat and runs like a raped ape. Once the temp gauge reaches about 213 degrees or higher and the engine is cut off, say if coming to a stop for a couple mins, the bike will not start. Everything turns on as if normal and the engine turns over but it just will not catch and actually fire up for some reason. I originally believed it to bs the battery bc I needed another one as mine was on it's last leg. Replaced the battery and I'm still having the same problems.

Once the bike gets hot and is cut off, it will not start until it has cooled off for a bit. The only way to get it started while it's hot is to push start it. Anyone have any ideas? The bike runs great after it starts but this is getting old quick. Especially seeing as there are no other problems and it makes my bike look like a pos lol. The bike is babied and remains parked in my living room when not in use so I don't see the elements effecting anything.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ajzcamaro
Bike is an 02 954 with 11,500 miles. I'm running into a problem and it is annoying me. The bike starts right up when cold. It does not overheat and runs like a raped ape. Once the temp gauge reaches about 213 degrees or higher and the engine is cut off, say if coming to a stop for a couple mins, the bike will not start. Everything turns on as if normal and the engine turns over but it just will not catch and actually fire up for some reason. I originally believed it to bs the battery bc I needed another one as mine was on it's last leg. Replaced the battery and I'm still having the same problems.

Once the bike gets hot and is cut off, it will not start until it has cooled off for a bit. The only way to get it started while it's hot is to push start it. Anyone have any ideas? The bike runs great after it starts but this is getting old quick. Especially seeing as there are no other problems and it makes my bike look like a pos lol. The bike is babied and remains parked in my living room when not in use so I don't see the elements effecting anything.
I have been having the same problem with mine.I have asked this question before and with no help in solving it.It happened again yesterday and 1 of my buddies that had a 954 before said the dealer mech.said it was the Tip over sensor going bad.There is a way to bypass this sensor and don't remember off the top of my head how to do it.But I will try it next weekend and see if it goes away.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ajzcamaro

I have been having the same problem with mine.I have asked this question before and with no help in solving it.It happened again yesterday and 1 of my buddies that had a 954 before said the dealer mech.said it was the Tip over sensor going bad.There is a way to bypass this sensor and don't remember off the top of my head how to do it.But I will try it next weekend and see if it goes away.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM

I would assume that sensor wouldn't be that much to replace but you never know. Someone told me it could possibly be the RR going out. If that's the case I have a friend who is going to give me one and see if that's the problem.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i would lean towards the R/R too because its one of those things that gets too hot easily and when it happens they don't work.

where as the BAS is not in a spot that gets hot.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:01 AM

One of the local mechanics seems think the problem is bc the bike is becoming vapor locked. I normally run 93 octane, he told me to try 89 octane with some sort of fuel treatment due to the ethanol in gas. I also thought it may be vapor locking but wasn't sure. I'm going to start carrying my extra key to open the tank next time it happens and find out if that's the problem. I will also run this tank of 93 octane out and refill with 89 to see if there is a difference. Problem is I don't ride often. Looks like I have another excuse to ride lol

Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at what temp does the bike turn off due to overheating? I had this similar problem with my f4i but it kept shutting down cause it was overheating due to the fans no longer working....for the life of me though I cant remember what temp it was that it shut down at... Does your fan still kick on when warm?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Above 232 atleast. Fan will kick on at like 212-215. I would only run 89 octane. I believe the manual says 89. Run with what guidence you get from the manual. No need for Octane Booster. You're not helping your bike with higher octane fuel. Stick with factory recommendations. Ive been running 89 for like 2 years now. Not a single issue since I switched over.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by asullivan
at what temp does the bike turn off due to overheating? I had this similar problem with my f4i but it kept shutting down cause it was overheating due to the fans no longer working....for the life of me though I cant remember what temp it was that it shut down at... Does your fan still kick on when warm?

The bike doesn't turn off and doesn't overheat. This only happens after I cut off the bike after riding it.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
Above 232 atleast. Fan will kick on at like 212-215. I would only run 89 octane. I believe the manual says 89. Run with what guidence you get from the manual. No need for Octane Booster. You're not helping your bike with higher octane fuel. Stick with factory recommendations. Ive been running 89 for like 2 years now. Not a single issue since I switched over.

I wasn't sure what the manual said bc I don't have one. I know higher octane decreases hp and can cause detonation issues unless the vehicle has an upgraded ignition. He was talking about running some sort of treatment bs has in shop that supposedly fixes the ethanol problems, which I bc the ethanol is still on the gas. Of course I don't know if this is the problem but we will see.

Quick Reply: Starting problems...