CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

spocket teeth count

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: spocket teeth count

Did it seem like first gear was 2 short with that setup? I dont really want 2 many power wheelies, just a bit more go. I wouldnt mind if I could power wheelie 2nd but I dont want it to get in the way when I'm riding corners hard. Maybe just 2 up in the back with no changing the front?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could do that all up to you, can always buy the -1 down later how many miles personally do you have under your belt for riding.. what about for this bike.. because i didn't have a problem with power wheelies in 2nd gear, just saying might just wnat to keep stock and get a little better used to the bike but can't really say cause i dont know you, but sprockerts and stuff like that are easy to change if you have stands and basic tools, also a chain tool

Old 01-24-2007, 11:03 PM

personally on this bike hmmm maybe 500 miles. I know that is a bit low. I put about 8k miles on my previous bike an R6 and the bike I had before that I put probably 4k on it. So not incredibly experienced, I wouldnt really do too many power wheelies in 2nd. I think some of it is just knowing that The bike will. I watched a buddy of mine loop a clutch wheelie in 1st on a 600 and never really did em much after that. I'm actually not even positive that I'm gonna change the sprockets at all. I just thought it may be a good place to start modding. I was thinking of a power commander first but then I thought for what is actually done to the bike (slip on, air filter) I probably wouldnt benefit much from a power commander since there not a whole lot that would need to be changed as far as air/fuel. Maybe running a bit lean right now but not terribly. I do love the way the bike feels right now though and I would hate to interrupt any of the smoothness of it now and 1st gear is already short. As I mentioned I'm not really lookin to do wheelies. Thats one of the reasons I posted because I wanted a nice tight ratio that would allow for quicker acceleration but not make the bike wheelie crazy

Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 PM

oh ok I see what your saying there you could power wheelie 2nd w/stock gearing. Well its not something Ive practiced or anything. I been pretty abrupt with the throttle at about 8k rpms or so and she didnt come up. what rpm were you using in 2nd

Old 01-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

Alright, well i see some things here that are your "problems" i guess you could say you only have 500 miles on this bike and you went from a 600 and a little scared of flipping the bike, which i understand but personally i dont think the problem is the bike doens't have enough power, it's that you dont know how to use the power that the bike has to get it up and to do what you want, i had 10k+ on my 954 and still didnt prob know how to use 100% of that power.. i also came froma 600.. a 600RR that i put 7k miles on that but it was my first bike.. second.... Get the PCIII BUT! get a custom map, i had just a slip on scorpion and a k&n air filter and i gained almost 8~RWHP! so i would personally go that route and get the air fuel mix perfect, and then try that, 8k rpms is to high already need to be lower and snap it.. but take it slow..

Old 01-25-2007, 02:08 AM

I had -1 on the front and went back to stock.

I found that I couldn't really get on the gas in first without kissing the triple clamp, so stock was better, as I spent less time fighting the front end, and could wind the gear out a little longer before shifting.

On my F4i, -1/+2 was great. On the 954rr, lowering the gear was overkill. Whatever little gain in acceleration was lost with the wheel coming up and having to shift sooner and more often.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Banned

ya exactly how i thought.. it all depends on riding style and expierence... 600's they are def a must do but liter bikes not really needed but all depends on who you are, i also had a scotts steering dampner so that was nice... but for a true performance gain i would get a PCIII with a dyno custom tune

Old 01-25-2007, 08:06 AM

thanks for all the great info guys. I'm glad I posted about this before I did anything. I think I will go the power commander route rather than mess with the sprockets.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

good idea, let me know how it does on the dyno

Old 01-25-2007, 04:50 PM

I have -1/+2 and I am going back to stock as well. My suggestion if it matters now...looks like you made yours already...is that you do what you are talking about and go with the PCIII first. Also, I HIGHLY recommend that you have a steering damper on it before you get nutty with the gearing. I have a good friend that totalled his 929 last spring from atank slapper and his gearing was the same. That front wheel just gets so light. I liked the extra grunt, but I am looking for faster corner speed now and I am not worried about wheelies. The wheel will come up if you want it to.

Did anyone with the lower gearing notice the fuel mileage drop? I have two friends with GSXR-1000 and my fuel light was coming on a lot earlier than theirs and it was not the case before I changed the gearing. I do a lot of long rides, so it can make a difference for me.

Anyway, good luck!

Quick Reply: spocket teeth count