CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Sort of new to the site

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sort of new to the site

I am sort of new to this site. I have been on here on and off looking for info and just browsing. I am getting ready to purchase a 954RR either tomorrow or the day after. The bike has 10,000 miles and is in great cosmetic shape. The engine needs some work as the head gasket blew and it needs pistons and rings. I plan on getting the Wiseco 76mm piston kit, new EBC clutch kit, and getting a good valve job done to the head. I am hoping that the head gasket and was all that went wrong with it. I am getting the clutch kit just for the heck of it (one less thing I have to worry about.) After the engine is done the bike will be resprayed and I will start on some cosmetic enhancements.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if you're doing a 76mm kit, you're rebuilding the whole motor essentially... at least the bottom end. who are you going to use for boring/plating?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014

I initially put this into the new members forum. I am trying to get my restrictions lifted. But to answer your question Kammer & Kammer a local machine shop close to me. They build racing engines for car's and motorcycle's. They will be checking over the crank and rods for any signs of damage as well. All new bearings and gaskets will be ordered for the bottom and top end. I will be putting it all back together and then taking it to have the valves shimmed and timing set properly. I have built several car engines so it shouldn't be to bad with a manual. They are also doing a valve job on the cylinder head as well as any decking if needed.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM

cool man, well, keep us updated. we've got a few 76mm guys here, me included; so if you have any questions with anything, let us know!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome.............

To get your restrictions lifted, just keep posting for a while, ask questions - as you have - and the Administrators will let you off the leash

Good luck with the rebuild.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-23-2013, 12:23 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

Well you can welcome me to the family. I got my 2002 954RR today for $1,700. The bike has 10,162 original miles, clear title, and never been laid down, but needs a little engine work like stated above. I don't know if the bike needs new pistons and rings as of yet I am putting the head back on and starting it up to see what it sounds like for myself. A tick is what I was told and it was diagnosed with the head on so we will see. It could be as simple as a valve adjustment or in need of a valve job. I will upload a pic sometime tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

So I sold my rebuilt salvage 09 250R with 10,282 miles for $2,500 and got a 02 954RR with 10,162 miles and a clear title for "insert drumroll here" $1,700 . I am very happy with the purchase and I already started on my appearance mods. The body panels are already off the bike and going to the body shop for some Gun Metal Gray base/clear. I got proton flush mounts, gixxer signal mirrors, integrated taillight, solo seat cowl, hotbodies undertail, d3 grips, d3 bar ends, asv levers, and some carbon stuff on the way. Plus the huge d&d pipe is being cut down 8" and then powdercoated flat black. Here is a pic for ya:

Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM

the black powdercoated swinger and motor mount is so good looking. we had another member do that - it totally makes the bike look better and newer

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
the black powdercoated swinger and motor mount is so good looking. we had another member do that - it totally makes the bike look better and newer
This is actually my winter project. The black makes it look awsome. Word to the wise im looking at your posts and thinking your now stearing away from the 76mm and whole deal but if u do a clutch kit do yourself a favor and replace both the hub and basket with the steel plates friction plates springs arm etc. Its a pain when you out the thing together then realize its not sitting perfect and makes sound. Take it from experience haha.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Conrice
Originally Posted by mrsmobbins101
This is actually my winter project. The black makes it look awsome. Word to the wise im looking at your posts and thinking your now stearing away from the 76mm and whole deal but if u do a clutch kit do yourself a favor and replace both the hub and basket with the steel plates friction plates springs arm etc. Its a pain when you out the thing together then realize its not sitting perfect and makes sound. Take it from experience haha.
The bike was dirty in this picture but I definitely think the black looks better. The bad is that the swingarm was pc'd and everything else was rattle canned flat black and looks like crap. I have plans on having everything re pc'd (frame, subframe, swingarm, both side covers, passenger pegs, and upper triple tree) because up close they are flaking and scratched and just look like crap. I got about $1,400 in mods that I want to do but I need to get it running properly first.

mrsmobbins101 - I still plan to do the 76mm bore kit if the bike is in need of pistons and rings. I took the head off to do a leak test today so I should know later if it is the valves or pistons & rings.

Can either of you tell me where I can get some torque specs so I can put the head back on.

Quick Reply: Sort of new to the site