CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy it?

This is a 2002 954 with 20k on the clock with a clean tittle. He is asking $4000.00 I have them down to $3000.00 site unseen.

I've been searching for a decent deal on a 954 for a while now and I am not in any real hurry to buy. Just wanted to pick some brains of current owners on whether or not this would be a good buy.
Thanks guys

Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

No harm in checking it out right? I say arrange a meet and get the fairings off so you can see whats going on inside the bike.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Looks clean, but as CJardone said, no harm in checking it out. With not being in a hurry to buy, you have the opiton of searching around for the perfect machine. Set up the meet with the seller and look it over. All the best, I hope it works out for you in the end!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM

I would start by asking him why the fairings are painted? Has the bike been crashed? Also I noticed that the front headlight does not even touch the upper fairing? Seems kind of suspect to me. At $3k its a deal with 20k on it, but I would have the fairings removed and look for crash damage. Be leary of this deal.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't buy it, unless it was way cheaper. It looks beat up and put back together. A better deal will come along since you have time on your side.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM

I would start by asking him why the fairings are painted? Has the bike been crashed? Also I noticed that the front headlight does not even touch the upper fairing?
Nice catch. This is why I posted pics of what I see. As he is a lil bit of a drive away.
If I do go to have a look at it I will be taking my buddy who is a bike mechanic and specializes in Honda for the most part.

If it's been downed I will not pay anywhere near that price for it. As I can drive a bit further and get one with less miles (Supposedly Clean Tittle) for a lil bit more money. And it is still in the stock color scheme with only an exhaust Mod.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 PM

I agree with 74demon, not worth it. There are better bikes out there. Depending on what you want to do with it. If its a track or stunt bike, it has some tasty bits on it like the rotors front and back, rear sprocket and a slip on. If your looking for that kind of thing then its worth a look. Otherwise I would wait for a nice to show up that has not been spray can painted. The 954 is an awesome bike wait for the right one.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

no way dude. if you were able to test ride it - maybe.... and then it would have to be perfect with some nice aftermarket tid-bits and i don't mean the solo tail... it does have cool rotors, SS lines, levers, a double bubble, flushmounts, and at least a 2/3 or half system though.... which is a plus

but...
it's missing the snorkel covers....

it has an aftermarket "keyless" gas lid - and no trunk.... i'd wonder if it was stolen.....

was it tracked?

i don't know man, i'd have to see it in person..... you should too. never do the sight unseen thing with a motorcycle....

if your'e not in a hurry and not able to go see it in person - i'd pass

Last edited by Conrice; 01-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

hey! I have a keyless tank and no rear passenger seat lock. Well I have it but dont use it because I like the pull lever and I have the original key.

But I do agree about the headlight it bugged me when combined with the repainted fairings and what looks like an aftermarket alternator cover.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM

Man this is why I love this site. You guys have some great eyes.

I do know he said that the previous owner had did some mods to it.
The bike is about a 45 minute drive (BY CAR) haha from me. I figured why not get some opinions from you guys which already know this model and I'm glad I did.
I have found better deals with a lot fewer miles which are lil further to get to, but they are unmelosted cept for an exhaust upgrade.