CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Shifting without clutching

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifting without clutching

ORIGINAL: jimboR

Hey, won't clutchless shifting f up you linkage? I know they're cheap but a pain in the *** is a pain in the ***. right?
Jim

PS How do I change the oil on this thing. I take the cap off and flip the bike (man its heavy) but the oil seems to come out too slowly.
lol

Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's the easy answer if you want to spend the cake! pwr commander usb w/quickshifter. look it up at www.powercommander.com. enough female ******* already! and yes this is only my 3rd post on this site in 20 yrs of riding.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 PM

Check out a book called "Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques" by Lee Parks. He covers this topic very well.

Prior to upshifting, you put moderate upward pressure on the shift lever, and momentarily make a slight reduction in throttle, then immediately back on again - lo and behold, the trans shifts when the timing is exactly right with out any effort or special technique involved. And usually smother than if you'd used the clutch. Once I discovered this method (or was shown it by Mr. Parks, rather) I very rarely upshift with the clutch. It's gentler, smoother and faster.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:06 AM

Bottom line, you can upshift ok if you do it right.

I think the reason why people in general don't recommend it extensively is because it is a lot easier to mess up. If you do it long enough, you are going to grind a gear. If you grind a gear a couple times, it's going to prematurely wear the those gears [literally the teeth inside the transmission on the gear].

Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 PM

It's your bike, do what makes you happy. Everyone has their own preference. If you are comfortable shifting without the clutch, DO IT. Happy Riding!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:40 AM

I think the method of cluthless shifting described above is similar to that of a cdl trucks shift patterns. you dont have to use the clutch between 2-3 or the rest of em of when your out of the gas and dont force it into the next gear just hold the shifter with a bit of pressure in the direction of the next shift and when the engine decellerates enough the tranny will slip in into the desired gear. I didnt know the same thing appied to streetbikes but I dont think I'll use that method. I know with a cdl truck you end up waiting for deceleration longer than if you just used the clutch and shifted when you want, plus why risk the possible long term damage. Thats just my take on it.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:14 PM

Here! You can upshift w/p the clutch. This should put it to bed:

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/RSS/1...ss_upshifting/

Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 AM

Excellent article - actually explains it even better than the book I referred to.

( Oops - I take that back - this article doesn't mention the light upward pressure you put on the shift lever prior to letting off the throttle a little. If you do that, the tranny shifts by itself at precisely the right moment - no technique to it. )

Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 AM

whats up? shifting w/o the clutch is a bad idea, I asked a mech and he said its really bad on the gears. it can shift this way but youll be buying a new system 2000 miles from now.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: wracerxbrw

whats up? shifting w/o the clutch is a bad idea, I asked a mech and he said its really bad on the gears. it can shift this way but youll be buying a new system 2000 miles from now.
When you say mech are you referring to a sportbike motorcycle mechanic? The article I posted explains it quite well

Quick Reply: Shifting without clutching