CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Seeking the electrically advanced

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking the electrically advanced

I won’t bore you with too many details but I bought a really low mile but non running 954 that’s turned out to be a basket case. Everything I touch breaks something else it seems. I’ve spent more time undoing things than I have diagnosing. Today I removed the tail fairing to check the relays. I lost my dash lcd and have power other places. I also started blowing the 10A turn stop horn fuses. Overall, I’d like to get it back to cranking, i was not getting spark and thinks it’s a greater wiring issue causing all of this.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Received 423 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmersandblades
I won’t bore you with too many details but I bought a really low mile but non running 954 that’s turned out to be a basket case. Everything I touch breaks something else it seems. I’ve spent more time undoing things than I have diagnosing. Today I removed the tail fairing to check the relays. I lost my dash lcd and have power other places. I also started blowing the 10A turn stop horn fuses. Overall, I’d like to get it back to cranking, i was not getting spark and thinks it’s a greater wiring issue causing all of this.
Any help is greatly appreciated
How are you “checking” things?
What do you mean by “more time undoing things”?

With these old bikes, you have to follow physician’s credo, “Do no harm!”

To troubleshoot electrical issues, you must do passive, non-interference testing and measuring only. Do not change anything. Do not “fix” anything until you’ve positively 100% for sure identified an actual problem because your measured numbers is not same as what manual says it should be.

So yes… in order to put your bike back to original as-received condition with just “cranking, and not getting any spark”, list every single change you made in chronological order. From looking at list, we can determine order to undo things to revert it back to less critical state.

Also let’s start with some effective troubleshooting (fastest, least effort and least costly). Passive, non-interference measurements only:

1. Measure battery power with everything OFF, volts=???

2. Measure red/wht wire under engine-stop relay, volts=???

3. Measure resistance between engine-stop relay red/org wire to chassis-ground, ohms=???

4. Key ON, stop-switch=RUN, measure power at engine-stop relay blk wire, volts=???

5. Measure power at engine-stop relay output blk/wht wire, volts=???

6. Unplug one ignition coil and measure power at harness-plug’s blk/wht wire, volts=???

That’s good enough for now, this is usually 5-min fix with multimeter. I’ve helped over 100 people fix their no-start, no pump-prime problems in far-off remote dark parking-lots via phone in middle of night. Many of them in pouring rain!

Last edited by dannoxyz; 05-25-2024 at 11:37 PM.