CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

rough shifting into second gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough shifting into second gear

Hello all. I am somewhat new to these forums. I have been riding most of my life and have owned many bikes over the years, mainly dirtbikes up until about 5 years ago. Ive had two sport bikes before my most recent purchase, an 02 954RR. The problem that I'm having with the 954 is rough shifting from first to second. My clutch is in good shape and does not slip. Every gear shifts perfectly smooth except for first to second. As I said before I have owned many bikes over the years and am familiar with the fact that shifting from first to second is the farthest throw since you are passing over neutral. It seems that if I shift at a lower rpm= under 4k while I am accelerating it shifts fine most of the time. Also if I am getting on it and take first gear up over 7k rpms it seems to shift better, but still not smooth. Anywhere between4k-7k rpmsI get a real hard shift and a clunk or even a grinding sound. It does it often at lower rpms too if I dont make sure that I am accelerating whenI shift. What I mean by accelerating when I shift is not fully pulling in the clutch and backing off of the throttle.I stayon the throttle, lightly pullling in the clutchand making a quick kick up into second. When Ishift like that under 4k rpmsI usually get a pretty smooth shift. A little background info on this bike: Ive had it for just over two months and it currently has 14800 miles. It was in completly stock condition when I purchased it. No damage anywhere on the bike so I doubt it had been stunted, but I cant be sure. So has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas? Shift forks or shift drum possibly? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have heard here on the forums that shifting of the 954 can be a bit notchy, but this really doesnt feel right. Even the older sportbikes that I had before that were in much worse condition than this bike never had this problem.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Default RE: rough shifting into second gear

i experienced that with my last 954. it got progressively worse until some chick pulled out in front of me and totaled the bike. towards the end of its life it would pop out of second gear also under heavy acceleration. i think the shift fork was bent.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Shifting a bit hard is somewhat normal for the 54 i guess, but grinding definately not. I would also lean towards a shift fork, but would not say with certainty that is your problem.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:28 AM

mine was doing the same. I switched to full synthetic oil, changed the filter and now it's 100 times better.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

second gear is alwys the first gear to go out... it's usually the shift fork that gets bent from jamming it in to second.. after a while the gear's get chips and then that's what causes you to fall out of second... either take it and get it rebuilt and replace the shift forks and second gear or open it up yourself

Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 AM

I will have to stick with the guys on this one. I would look at the shift fork. or the syncro ? When you back off can you pull it in to 2nd with out the clutch?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: matty

mine was doing the same. I switched to full synthetic oil, changed the filter and now it's 100 times better.

i did the same thing, and it seemed to work fine for me also.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: richhowerton

When you back off can you pull it in to 2nd with out the clutch?

I have not tried doing this yet, I will try today and let you know tonight.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I'm leaning towards a bent shift fork as well. Anyone know the average costs involved with having the shift forks replaced at a shop? I was told by the previous owner that he ran Castrol Syntec full synthetic motor oil in this bike so I will try switching over to some Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil and see if that helps as well.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: bobjoezx

after a while the gear's get chips and then that's what causes you to fall out of second... either take it and get it rebuilt and replace the shift forks and second gear or open it up yourself

Just to clarify it has never popped out of second on me.Not yet anyway. It has just been rough going in. When you say rebuilt do you mean having the whole transmission rebuilt?

Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM

All the above suggestions sound on the mark. Grinding could be unrelated, it could be a bearing on the drive sprocket shaft...I always worry about those on used bikes because I don't think many understand the need for slack on a chain. I'll walk away from a used bike if the chain is fully taught without the rider.

Try the oil change. Check the shift fork. Or you can do what I did on my old bike, leave it in second most of the time. I hate the way a bike sounds in first for some reason...

Quick Reply: rough shifting into second gear