CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Revving up the 954

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revving up the 954

Hey guys,
I just picked up my 2003 954RR around August and I love it. Now that winter is coming and it's getting colder out sometimes I'll just open up the garage door and start it up let it warm up for a bit to around 80 C and I'll rev it up, Yesterday I couldn't help it and I bounced it off the limiter once because it sounded so good in the garage it has a Micron Slip on, I don't plan on doing much revving in the future just wondering if that causes any harm.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM

If your storing then don't start it. Riding it is one thing but just letting warm up is another. You are creating Condensation that your bike is not burning off like if its being ridden. Best to leave it sit till its time to ride.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:26 PM

I don't start my bikes unless i'm going for a ride. I also don't rev the bike, I accelerate.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I typically don't start my bike just to rev it or to let it sit there and run. I leave my bike off, for how ever long that may be, until it's time to ride. And before I ride, I will let the bike warm up to atleast 115*F before leaving.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:32 PM

The worst type of drive is the ones under 5 miles because like others are saying, it causes condensation, and dont rev it without a load on it (in gear accelerating). If you want attention and loud noise, turn your ghetto blaster on full blast and dance in the street; youll get same kind of adrenal rush.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Interesting, growing up in Michigan I always heard people talk about go out every week and let the bike, car, atv, whatever warm up for 15-20 min during the winter months. I didn't do that with my old bike last year and won't with my 954. I totally understand what you guys mean about condensation. I do plan on changing the oil and filling the tank before officially parking it for the winter, then pull the battery and bring it in the house so it won't freeze. Winter sucks...

Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by exz5string
Interesting, growing up in Michigan I always heard people talk about go out every week and let the bike, car, atv, whatever warm up for 15-20 min during the winter months. I didn't do that with my old bike last year and won't with my 954. I totally understand what you guys mean about condensation. I do plan on changing the oil and filling the tank before officially parking it for the winter, then pull the battery and bring it in the house so it won't freeze. Winter sucks...
Cold starts are so hard on an engine. Better off putting fuel stabilizer in the tank and disconnect the battery. Your engine will thank you.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by moosestang
Cold starts are so hard on an engine. Better off putting fuel stabilizer in the tank and disconnect the battery. Your engine will thank you.
Thats the plan from now on, actually doing that this week, I'll change the oil fill the fuel tank and stabilize it then take the battery into the house for the next 5 months

Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Each to there own on Stabil. I've seen more tanks gum up because Stabil can gum itself then not using product at all. I've been riding now 25 years and I think I've had atleast 12 snowmobiles,6 Moto-X bikes,2 ATV's, and 10 street bikes over those years. I fill them with fresh gas when they get put away and thats that. Battery Tender bike up and off the ground,fresh oil. Shes snoozes till I'm ready to pull it out. I do the same with my lawn mowers and Snowblowers and they have no where near the amount of fuel in them and they never have issues.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 AM

I might not use Stabil, but at least a can of dry gas

Quick Reply: Revving up the 954