CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Powerband question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powerband question.

If you have only begun your journey with a bike like the 954 it might be a good idea to take it easy. It's my opinion that if your are affraid of the front end lifting, you really don't have any business going that fast or accelerating that hard. If something were to f*up, like a car pulls out in front of you, will you know what to do and how to handle your bike? Or will you freeze up, squeeze the brakes and stack your bike? Are you strong / experienced enough to really handle your bike? Now I don't mean to put you down, I know it's great to play around but you should put lots of miles on your bike and get a true feel for the machine. Then, you will know what to expect and how to retain control.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM

I'm not so much afraid of the front end lifting as it is I want to see how much usable power is there. If the front comes up high under hard acceleration in 2nd gear then I wanted to know where. thats all. Like I mentioned I would like to be able to run out a gear and know what to expect before I do. It is my first liter bike and I do plan on taking it slow. I guess I was just curious about what she's got in her. I know my old r6 probably pales in comparison to the new bike so I was trying gauge the differences between the 2 bikes power bands as well. I know with my old bike if you wanted it to come up w/o clutch the only way i could do it was feather it to 10k in 1st then go WOT. was very touchy though obviously because it was first gear. Dont know if I'll ever see WOT in first in this bike. Like I said I'm just trying to get as much info as possible about the bikes high and low spots in the power band before I really get in it. Obviously the only real way to do that is to feel the bike out and take it slow but all of your experience and opinions on this subject is appreciated. Damn my fingers are tired of typing now

Old 11-24-2006, 12:03 AM

Here's the scoop: The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice. Get as much seat time as possible and TAKE YOUR TIME, you'll get used to the bike and know how much you can give it and when. Soon it'll seem like nothing at all to you. Just get out there, be safe and develope that throttle control. 954 is a very forgiving bike. I had an 04 gixxer 1000 that was a beast compared to this 954. You'll get used to it.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:20 PM

My 954 experience has shown me that I can push the bike fairly hard and not worry about the front end lifting unless I am riding hard and clutch shift at about 9K or better. Normally, I don't clutch shift for this reason and overall smoothness. Also, I don't feel it is necessary to push the bike into redline/WOT so I've never done it. But, if I want to wheelie I just nail it at about 7k and it's not a problem. Not saying that your bike will do the same, that is just my experience. Now to the power band. The 954 is expected to produce about 130 RWHP at top end. Go to http://erionracing.com/dyno.asp then choose CBR954 and this will bring up a Dyno Chart. Hopefully this will help you visualize the powerband.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:18 PM

Seriously shouldn't be giving people advice to do power wheelies, though...

Old 11-24-2006, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: TongWoo

Seriously shouldn't be giving people advice to do power wheelies, though...
that is one of the reasons i said keep throttle action-slow!!Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 101
Size:  139 Bytesdont attempt to over-power the bike till you are ready to do soName:  flex.gif
Views: 113
Size:  2.2 KBlike tongwoo said develope throttle control-i said it before and i will say it again-"control of your bike is all in the use of the right hand",i just hate to think that some experienced riders forget this and/or take it for granted!!-a 1ltr bike can get you into a world of hurt very quickly!!-always be vigilant with throttle control
o8
[sm=alcoholic.gif]

also-slow on the throttle does not mean slow on the speedometer-how fast is your choice!!-just keep it predictable till you get a good feel of this bike and the throttle needed to propel it,the way you want,up on one or not[sm=shades.gif]
also-r6's are cool too!!

Old 11-24-2006, 08:51 PM

Well I was out for my first good ride today on it, went about 85 miles or so never went wide open throttle on it. maybe about 3/4 to 9k or so. very smooth, very nice power. The front maybe got a little light but nothing unexpected. I did however get pulled over for the first time on this bike. That was lovely. Not sure what my speed was, but I was close to triple digits on an open highway, hardley anybody around. Well except that state trooper that was hiding in the bushes. He found himself a good little spot. Anyway believe it or not he gave me a warning and told me to slow down when I saw five o. I got very lucky. maybe the guy likes to ride???

Old 11-24-2006, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: silvr002001

Well I was out for my first good ride today on it, went about 85 miles or so never went wide open throttle on it. maybe about 3/4 to 9k or so. very smooth, very nice power. The front maybe got a little light but nothing unexpected. I did however get pulled over for the first time on this bike. That was lovely. Not sure what my speed was, but I was close to triple digits on an open highway, hardley anybody around. Well except that state trooper that was hiding in the bushes. He found himself a good little spot. Anyway believe it or not he gave me a warning and told me to slow down when I saw five o. I got very lucky. maybe the guy likes to ride???
Name:  eek7.gif
Views: 102
Size:  1.6 KBif it ever happens again,keep cool,and tell 5o you are doing a emissions test-yes honda f***ed up,and that you think you have corrected the problem-justed needed to be sure!!had to test the repair!!so far it is workingName:  sing.gif
Views: 116
Size:  2.2 KB-and remember to thank 5o for their concern!!!
if you cant impress them with knowledge-dazzle them with bullsh*tName:  thumbup.gif
Views: 112
Size:  139 Bytes

[sm=alcoholic.gif]
o8

Old 11-24-2006, 10:46 PM

Hell yeah on just getting a warning!

And btw, listen to Outsider, He has good advice.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:05 AM

yeah that is a pretty awesome excuse

Quick Reply: Powerband question.