CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Once and for all...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once and for all...

Keep seeing a lot of threads about whether or not the 954 is a good starter bike. From a firsthand perspective, my answer is, maybe. You will be able to enjoy a less hyperactive bike a lot sooner. You'll enjoy the 954 longer, if it doesn't break you, or kill you.

First let me introduce myself. I'd never been on anything with less than 3 wheels besides a bicycle. Ever. I'm a hair under 30 years of age, and I spent 6 years with the Infantry, done a tour in Afghanistan, and one in Iraq, and "won" a Bronze Star for Valor and a Purple Heart.

The reason I'm providing those details is to prove that I'm not a yellow belly. Why's that important? Because when you get on a 954 and try to learn to ride it, it is absolutely terrifying. I got it late last summer, rode it quite a bit, been riding here in Ohio since the weathers turned, taking it to college everyday as weather allows, and I'm still scared ****less of this bike, and still spend most of my time worrying about what I'm doing rather than enjoying it. This is coupled with the fact I had a low speed lowside in November during a warm day where someone had shoveled slush in the road, making a left hander at an intersection. 4 cracked ribs, and 4 stitches later, the bike sometimes feels more like an abusive stepfather than a compliant lover lol. I am however getting progressively more comfortable on it.
I strongly feel that if I had bought something a little more manageable my skills would be improving much more quickly, and I would be partaking in the thrill with a lot less paranoia about the bike getting away from me.
So the best advice I can give is this...if you're new, find a smaller bike you like with a good resale value, so when you want to trade up, it's not so punishing financially, and it won't be such a big deal because you'll be so comfortable on it you'll miss it when it's gone. The other incentive is the main reason guys want a bike. Girls. You'll be a lot more attractive showing some skill on a smaller bike, than all wide eyed with near panic trying to keep ahold of the reins of a 954. Plus, you'll have the skills to carry a pillion that much sooner (wink wink).
I started on a 954, and I love it. But I'm acutely aware that I would be enjoying it much more had I spent some time on something a bit less.....eager to kill me. lol.

Last edited by Flash954; 06-04-2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-14-2009, 05:47 PM

I agree on some points, i started on a 929rr and thought i would be more comfy on a smaller bike, my lil bro just got an 06 cbr 600rr and i hate riding it, i feel like it's a toy and i have a bad habbit of wanting to oversteer. oh, only been riding a few months and i feel great on the 929, hopefully getting a 954 tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM

a 954 is a terrible bike to start on plain and simple no matter what anyone says. it doesnt matter if someone has "started on one and did fine" or "rode dirtbikes their whole life" or any of those standard BS excuses. you just dont start on something with this much power. thats why they call older 600's and ninja 250's good STARTER bikes, because its not something you keep for the rest of your riding days and you will most likely outgrow it and upgrade. a 954 is something people get as their "biggest" bike in a lot of cases, like most of us probably wont hop up to a 1000 because it has a tiny bit more power or somethin.

in MOST cases you will learn so much more skill in a quicker time if you start on a smaller bike. of course there may be some people that ended off fine by starting on a bigger bike like a 954, but overall it isnt a good starter.

the people who did start out on a 954 and say that it can be a good starter bike mainly think it is because they were able to handle it and didnt go down yet and feel accomplished, but in reality if you started out on a smaller bike and developed skills on it and applied them to a 954 you would probably have been a better rider on it at a sooner time.

Last edited by theskater101388; 06-14-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i started on an f3. i now have a 954. i can ride the living p*ss out of my friends that "thought" they could handle literbikes. i'm not saying im a pro rider, but i learned how to ride, while they learned how to hang on. a lot of the emphasis is put on the difference in power (which is obvious), but another big issue is steering geometry. add that to the difference in power, and you have a recipe for disaster.

want more proof? think about the reason that racers always "graduate" up to the bigger and faster bikes? its because of the learning curve. you'll never see some 15 yr old kid racing GP, but you'll see him in 125cc. and then a few years and you'll see him in 250cc. one day after he's mastered that, you may see him in GP. same thing applies to WSBK, AMA, dirt, track.

i laughed at some dude the other day who was on a 1000rr and couldnt negotiate a corner correctly. he ended up in the other lane, twitchy throttle, upset suspension. saw the bike for sale a few days after.