CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

O2 sensor question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor question...

I was wondering... Should I remove the o2 sensor, or un-plug it... Will this give me more power? or less? My air box sensoris missing- Code 34. Will removing the 02 sensor help, or cause problems... I dont know what I have to do to fix the code 34.Bike ismostly stock ( they gutted the stock honda pipe, andtoreout parts fromthe intake box ) Will a pcIII fix all my problems. The bike seems to be a little underpowered to me. Anyone have any input??? Thanks for thehelp...

p.s. bike temp seems to climb slowly past 225 at an idle, with the fan on./ Does that have anything to do with this current problem???

Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: O2 sensor question...

Ack i wont lie i dont know a ton about cali models, but i will try and help ya, or at least make some sense of it till you get proper help, or i can research it.

1st do not remove or unplug your 02 sensor. If removed you will just have a huge exhaust leak, if you unplug it you will get more codes and a very poor running bike. The 02 sensor is used to read your air fuel ratio, and helps determine how much gas your bike gets fed. Youwill lose a lot of power.

Code 34 is your EGCV, or part of your emissions stuff, that is the ugly valve looking thing right after your exhaust headers. It is driven by a small motor thats up by your airbox, either of which could be non functioning or sticking.

There are 2 possible sensors in your airbox that i can recall, one is a IAT sensor. That basiclly tells your bike how cold the air is coming into the engine, helps determine how much fuel you can get for optimal running. If its missing you should get a code for it, and would lightly effect how your bike runs. Other option is your MAP sensor, that helps determine the volume of air your engine is getting, thus again how much fuel you get. Again if missing you should get a code for that and bike will not run great.

As far as your temp problem, if you are missing one of the sensors, and your EGCV is not working right, you could very well be running lean which would definatly cause you to run hot.

If you dont have one, download a manual, here ........http://www.stephygee.com/954RRmanual.zip Do a little research and find out what sensor your missing and get it replaced. In there also will be a test for your EGCV and servo motor, do that and see if its junk. If so get a replacement and that should take care of most of your troubles.

Oh and no a pc3 will not solve your troubles. Any other ?'s feel free to ask.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 PM
RCR

LOL I read your post and I had to speed read to catch up with you..

No you just can't remove your 02 sensor, Your bike reads that info to run the rich/lean adjustments. that is not going to make that much difference anyways. A PCIII won't fix all your problems but it can help the performance.

As for your temp. How long are you letting it idle? 225 is to hot. I get max 220 at realllllllly long lights but usually only 218. Check your fluids and make sure nothing is obstructing the radiator and make sure someone didn't wire the fan wrong and it's running backwards. But if you are letting it idle for a long time it will over heat on you.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
vpb

About the O2 sensor, it helps you in saving gas. It's not like the one in cars, which will affect on the fuel/air ratio. It just read the amount of O2 in the exhaust, and if that O2 volume is a constant, then ECU will go to a lean map (less fuel/air). That case is when you cruise on the high way, where your throttle & speed rarely change.
It does not affect the power of bike, 'cause if you do drag, city riding, your throttle always changes. So, I think it's good thing any bike should have.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:23 PM

So is the EGCVconnected to the exhaust system? Cuz theres nothin electricalconnecting the bike to the exhaust except the o2 sensor. There is only one sensor in the airbox- its a white probe in the center bottom, and yes it is connected. I got the bike used and dont know what has been taken off.There looks to be no motor or valve in the airbox. What happens if I get an exhaust system that doesnt have the valve in it. Can a pc3 tune it out? if so, then is the airbox motor still used? Will the bike throw more than one code? like in a sequence? or only one till you fix it... thanks again for the input