CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Numbness in fingers after long ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it as well. Dr. stated CTS (carpel Tunnel) Had surgery on the right hand......Never needed it for the left. The Left Hand saw what Happened to the Right and it scared him straight! Its easy to rest on the palms of your hands while on long rides. Elbows out and focus on leg cues. Your inner thighs and Knees can help. Try turning your bike with your pegs and feet! You will be amazed at how much response you get. Use all these in tandem to give the hands a rest.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the pointers, I do think I may have carpel tunnel setting in though to so I guess riding doesn't help. I don't think ill stop riding though, sucks getting carpel tunnel at 29 figured I'd be at least 35 before I experienced fatigued body injuries lol. Hopefully, new grips and different riding tech. will help out enough.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old is only in your mind. I thought I would have been dead along time ago.......

Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM

I'm 25 and my hands so the same after an hour. It goes away in a few min though. Heavier bar-ends are supposed to help as previously mentioned but I noticed just loosening up my kung-fu grip helped the most. I always ride with gloves, I would imagine it would be worse without gloves.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM

Yeah I always were gloves to, Ill start trying new ideas posted and see how much each helps.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Classic said it: check your riding position.

I did a lil experiment a ways back in a safe area. Got on the gas a bit and braked hard. While braking, I paid attention to how much weight / pressure I was putting on the bars. Turns out it was a ton.

That showed me I was supporting myself with my arms and not with my core muscles. It'll lead to arm fatigue, numbness and mess with your ability to control the bike. Only thing I could do to correct it was force myself off my arms. A lot of hard braking practice, with the goal of not getting shifted forward and using my core to keep my position. If I could do it during braking, I would do it naturally during riding was my theory.

A lot better at it now but need some tank grips cause the nut taps sucked

Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Sept. 2011 Ride of the Month

Yep,

Squeeze the tank a little more with your thighs so you can hold yourself more upright. A good test of this is to be able to flare your arms/elbows in n' out. If you are on your wrist too much you obviously couldn't flare your arms back n' forth because of all the weight on your wrists.

Also, something not entirely related but adds to the mix, is the constant vibration in the handle bars. I forgot where mine are from but I have solid aluminum bar ends/weights that dampened the vibration tremendously. Actually, just found them.

Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends for Honda motor bikes to Reduce Vibrations

These things are CLUTCH...

Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 PM

The throttle rocker mentioned makes a huge difference on long trips. I have a cramp buster, but it's the same thing.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Loosen up your d!ck squeezer grip....

Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heavier bar weights, foamies , a throttle lock for Highway runs and depending on the
bike adjustable clipons and a custom seat can help too ....imo

as everyone else says lose the habit of grabbing hard on the bars

Quick Reply: Numbness in fingers after long ride