CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc

Well I finally got around to finishing my headlight, then upper fairing, then mirror replacement. I want some advice though on some aftermarket blinkers.

I bought an aftermarket upper cowl after discovering that not only was my headlight damaged, but the fairing was cracked badly too. While I was at it I decided to replace the chrome aftermarket mirrors I had with a different aftermarket pair in black. I didn't reinstall the blinkers I had on before because I wanted to poll the crew here for ideas on the best way to attach them. See attached pics.

The fitment of the new fairing isn't spot on perfect, but not bad considering a new OEM fairing would have been a few hundred dollars more. There is a slight gap on the left side panel as seen in the pics, but the most glaring difference is the mismatched decal. I wasn't aware until the fairing arrived that it had "Fireblade" stickers instead of US spec "CBR954" stickers.... oh well. At least the colors were very close and the lines matched up well.

Anyway there are a couple of pics showing the unfastened, flush mount, front blinker in the location I want to install. It's the hole for the OEM blinker stalk. Any suggestions on how to fasten this blinker into that spot?. The back of the blinker has a threaded stud maybe 1.5: long and not long enough to completely through the other side of the existing hole. How can I mount these blinkers with the base flush to the fairing surface and securely fastened?

Attached Thumbnails New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc-p7290045-rsz.jpg   New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc-p7290043-rsz.jpg   New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc-p7290046-rsz.jpg   New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc-p7290048-rsz.jpg   New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc-p7290049-rsz.jpg  

Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm.... I've had a few different kinds. They either fit around the ridge of the hole (not that style) or they come with a backing plate (your style) that fits over the bolt on the inside of the fairing. The backing plate could be some sort of large washer. So, you could go to a hardware store and buy some VERY LARGE OD washers that have an ID close to the bolt size, and you'd be fine. If you do go that route, the softer the material - the better. So Nylon would be my first choice.

Your other option is to call the company, ask them about a specific back plate for it. They might reimburse you with a set specifically for the 954

Last edited by Conrice; 07-29-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Conrice - always with some sound advice . Actually your second idea is how I had them installed originally (very large washer) placed behind the inside, black fairing panel. The distance between the outer fairing surface and the inner panel is just over 1.5". The stem on the blinker is only ~1" (see pic) and I still need extra thread to fasten the tightening nut. My only concern with that is the awkwardness in working it on (& off).

Previously I had attached another stud to the end of the blinker stud with a common nut to extend its length to ~2" and then fastened accordingly, but it was awkward to remove if never needed. Any suggestions on exactly how to do this differently?

Attached Thumbnails New Headlight...Fairing... Mirrors, etc-p7290053-rsz.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm, I have no other ideas than what you've tried already. I've seen that exact style of flushmount on a 954 before though, so I know there has to be a way to do it. Hopefully someone else gets on here and gives you a better idea.