CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Need help with a CCT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a CCT!

Hey Yall,

I am going a little nuts right now... Lets start with I bought a 03 954RR and I love it!... I have found her making a CCT noise, so I bought a new CCT and I went to install it and noticed that one bolt is extremely close to the frame... I have tried everything in my power to get to that bold, but there has been no luck!... Looking to see if there is a trick that works to get to the bolt that in next to the frame!... I Hope someone can help me!...

A few months ago I did one on my Brother in-laws 01 F4i but that was cake compared to this one!... Any suggestions are appreciated!...

Thanks Scott

Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Need help with a CCT!

last time i worked on my bike, I had to do a valve adjust. Everything was easy to get to and easy to check. But when it came down to adjusting valves and removing that tensioner....ugh I know your pain. What i did was unbolt the front engine mounts and stick a jack underneath the motor. I lowered the motor however far it would go with exhaust still connected as well as everything else. This slight amount of angle helped me in removing the CCT

Old 06-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Hey thanks for the help!... I was going to try that, but I was looking over everything and did not think that byremoving the four front engine mouts that it would move far with the exhaust still hooked up... If this worked for you I will def try it... Has anyone else found a way around this problem?...

Thanks again for your suggestion!... Scott

Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I use a 1/4 inch double swivel, 6 inch extension, and the ( i cant recall atm) 8mm socket i took to the bench grinder and made a extra shorty out of it. I unplug the 2 airbox sensors and go in right along the frame, the stubby socket is just enough to get it about 1/2 way out then the rest i can do with my fingers.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thats funny cause that is exactly what I did!... I did not disconnect the air box sensors so I will give that a whorl!... Thanks again guys for the help!... I will let you know if I get that stupid bolt out!...

Thanks Scott

Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM

just curious....what is the average miles you guys are getting out of a CCT? I rode this afternoon and am wondering if my CCT is due or mymind is playing tricks on meafter reading this thread earlier today. I have 9500 on the cluster and the origional CCT.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I did mine at 16k as i thought it was getting a bit noisy, it seems however it was mostly my imagination. I did replace it with a manual cct though, so i never have to worry about mind tricks again

Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM

I replaced my CCT with stock at 16,375 and remember it being a bit cumbersome. I know the fairing was off the bikeand I think I used a 1/4"drivesocket (theyhave asmaller outside diameter) rather than the standard 1/2". Oh, try getting the socket on the bolt before attaching the extension. (If you have not already tried this..)
Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Hey guys, I did not get the chance to attempt this project yesterday; so today I will be doing this... I called a local dealer yesterday to see how much it would be if I could not get to the bolt and they told me $358 plus tax!... F that noise! I will be getting this out myself!... When I talked to the tech I asked him about the life of a CCT and he told me that some never need to be changed, however, the higher revving engines need replacing sooner, or more often... He could not give me any time frame. My bike has 11200 miles on it and the guy I bought it off of said it has made this same noise the whole time he had it... I am just afraid that it is going to skip and mess up my motor!... Thanks again for all the info and I will be trying to replace this today... Let you know how it goes...

Thanks Scott

Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 AM

OK so the bikes wins for now!... I tried everything that everyone suggested and in combinations and no luck!... I even went around looking for different swivel heads and paid $15 for one hopping that it would do the trick!... I eventually got the socket on to the bolt, however, I could not get the swivel unit on to the socket... The angle is just way to much and not enough space for it to fit... I will be shopping around for a socket that is built connected to a shortie swivel... Thanks for all of your help and if there are any other tricks out there please leave some suggestions...

Thanks Scott